Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String quilts without foundation piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilts-without-foundation-piecing-t219627.html)

ghquilter53 04-22-2013 04:35 AM

You can use musling as foundation for the strip piecing.

lswan 04-22-2013 04:41 AM

I have a new iPad and screwed up the typing- I meant I WOULD try your hints in making strip blocks!
Linda

carolynjo 04-22-2013 04:56 AM

I concur with using phone book pages. I am 1/3 of the way through piecing with uniform 1 1/2" strips sewn to phone book paper. It really comes off easily and my squares look good.

linhawk 04-22-2013 07:37 AM

I thought of dryer sheets and saved a bunch of them. I use Kirkland.
When I pressed them they melted.
Test before use, some might be different.
Or my iron was too hot??? Just a thought.

Pat M. 04-22-2013 07:42 AM

I have made many strip quilts without foundation. Just remember there will be some bias in some scraps. After I make a big piece I cut out what I need, square, etc. add the scraps from that to another piece of material and do it again.

pollyjvan9 04-22-2013 07:46 AM

I love string quilts and appliques cut from string quilt strips or blocks. I have made some without a foundation of any kind, heavy starch and careful pressing, however I like to use a very thin fabric foundation which controls stretching and makes the strings more stable. I go to thrift stores and look for curtains made from very fine cotton, or the discount store for these fabrics. They are so thin you can hardly tell you have a foundation, but no tearing paper away (ugg), and I go ahead and use whatever batting and backing I wish.

Rose Bagwell 04-22-2013 07:51 AM

I have actually done two that way. One I had 2 1/2 inch strips sewn into a long strip. I then measured , cut and sew again, sort of like the Jelly Roll method. I then cut into 4 huge squares and sew them crisscross of one another. ( Strips going vertical and another block going horizontal L. Hope you know what I mean.

The other I made strips , sewed them and cut into 10 inch blocks. I then joined same as above. Both of these I quilted.

I honestly prefer to sew on thin material and or muslin.

quiltmom04 04-22-2013 08:02 AM

That's the way I used to do it before paper piecing became do popular -it will work just fine!

salemrabbits 04-22-2013 08:51 AM

I have made several string quilts also. The first one on fabric- left it on as a backing, that quilt (king sized) was quilted with poly batting and still was heavy. Second one was just strings, no fabric backing-no problems. The one I am working on now- I put on paper to try it. I don't particularly like doing the blocks on paper- but they do come off easy. tight stitches.......my strings are mostly 1" finished, so lots of stitching on a block. One thing I did notice- the paper rolled a bit and I pressed then from the paper side also. Not a big deal, just another step to remove the paper I'd guess.

mckwilter 04-22-2013 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 6016584)
Since you don't like tearing off paper, and a fabric foundation is too heavy for your purposes, how about used dryer sheets? I save all of mine and then press them lightly to store in a stack. They're really light-weight and don't need to be torn off.

Be sure to "wash" these before you use them, because there is residual chemical left in the dryer sheets. I just fill my sink with hot soapy water and swish them around, then put them in the washer to spin dry and press them. Another option for non-woven foundations is the wrapping around sanitary napkins / Depends pads. These are clean and have no chemicals in them.