Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strip Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strip-cutter-t27503.html)

Melinda in Tulsa 10-24-2009 10:49 AM

Wow, $10! I might need to take a trip to Walmart for an extra one, especially if they have been discontinued<g>

butterflywing 10-27-2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Do these let you cut angles?

i saw a cutter at a show that lets you cut angles of any ...hhmm...angle. it was very, very pricey but it worked great. i wish i could remember the name of the product. anyone else see one at a show?

Olivia's Grammy 10-28-2009 04:13 PM

I found a 24" strip cutter at Walmart's today marked down to $15.00. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for telling me about this tool.

butterflywing 10-28-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Since this topic has come up many times :wink: I came across this strip cutter that uses 45mm blades like our rotary cutters. It can cut extremely wide strips, too.

http://www.cutting-mats.net/paper-trimmer-2739.html

amma, i emailed the company re: their return policy. since they specifically call it a paper-cutter, i worry that it won't hold an edge for fabric. they referred me to their printed return policy text on their website. twice. it really doesn't address my question. it doesn't say anything about returning it if it isn't what you expected or if it doesn't do what you expected. since they don't say anything about fabric, i don't think they'd accept it back if it doesn't cut fabric well after a short time. i would love to have something like this, but i'm afraid to take the chance on a scrapbooking item and use it for fabric. the only one i saw for fabric was at a show, adjusted for any angle, but cost over $150. i don't know about the one at walmart...wether it's the same one or not. but i won't buy from walmart until they stop outsourcing everything they sell. i guess it wasn't meant to be mine, right?

Mousie 11-02-2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I must be missing something here, why the stripper cutter instead of the ruler and rotary?

I am looking at them because I think it would be easier on my hands...cutting the usage of the rotary down drastically... I want to be able to go somewhere and test drive a couple of them :wink:

Amma, when you do please let us know how it went. With fibro, I'm thinking since I have 6 grown kids, that I want to make laps and at least 3 full size, and then there are the 4 grandbabies...and more...
if this product is good, and replacement blades are not too much, it might save me a lot of cutting, plus a lot of BENDING OVER. It really gets me in my back and shoulders to cut out a whole quilt.
With rulers and rotary, you have a lot of placing ruler, checking and rechecking, even with the sandpaper on rulers...to make all those cuts.
This could be invaluable for someone like me :D

Olivia's Grammy 11-02-2009 12:24 PM

I just bought the strip cutter and have started using it. A couple of things I will do differently the next time I use it. One, I think I need a slightly lower cutting surface to use the strip cutter. I have three different levels of cutting surfaces. It put a little to much strain on my shoulder. I could only cut through 4 layers of fabric and not all of them cut. I think a lower surface would help that. Also, the one I have, the widest I can cut is 6 1/2". BUT after making these changes I think I will like it and I feel that it will cut more acurately.

harrishwhippets 11-02-2009 01:12 PM

I had to move mine from my regular table from my sewing room to my dining room table. The reason is the sewing room table must have a slight bow in it and had trouble cutting through. So I take it and the mat to the dining room table with better sucess.

Mousie 11-02-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I just bought the strip cutter and have started using it. A couple of things I will do differently the next time I use it. One, I think I need a slightly lower cutting surface to use the strip cutter. I have three different levels of cutting surfaces. It put a little to much strain on my shoulder. I could only cut through 4 layers of fabric and not all of them cut. I think a lower surface would help that. Also, the one I have, the widest I can cut is 6 1/2". BUT after making these changes I think I will like it and I feel that it will cut more acurately.

hi Olivia's gramy and Harriswhippets,
Do you guy's feel that the blade on these, is the same blades that we use in our rotary cutters?
If that is so, then I don't see why they wouldn't last a good while if I just used it on fabrics and no paper.
This could be a very good thing for me.
I have one I use for paper and pictures etc. and I love it. Has three guides and super fast.
I like to keep pictures from magazines and put them in notebooks, etc.
Cuts down on a lot of messing and gauming to get something squared.
This strip cutter tool could be awesome for a fussy cut motif square/diamond! :D

harrishwhippets 11-02-2009 01:26 PM

Mine should be a fiskars rotary blade size 45, cause that's who makes it. Works pretty slick, but the surface has to be completely flat. My big folding table has just the slightest bow and isn't cutting well even with my rotary's. Have to line everything up to the middle of the table where there must be a brace. Other than that it's fine. Did 6 pcs of fabric the other night. Cut like butter. But I cut all of my fabric 3 colors the wrong sizr. Grabed the binding ruler instead of the 3" ruler and cut up all fabric. Did not know this until I tried to pc them to my 9" squares. Was making a warm wishes quilt. Had to go back and make all my squares 6". My goof for the week, hopefully.

harrishwhippets 11-02-2009 01:28 PM

I'm sure this is going to help me keep all my strips and squares consistant.And I don't worry about my cutter slipping.