Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Struggling With Motivation to Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/struggling-motivation-quilt-t195204.html)

gramarraine 07-22-2012 06:38 AM

I had a daughter and her 3 children move in with us 3 different times. 1 time her then husband was with her. It is a challenge but the blessings that come with the challenge can not be counted. We have a bond with her children that has been very strong and I know we wouldn't have had this bond had they not lived with us. Just be glad you can be there for her and help pertect the children from their abusive father.

KyKaren1949 07-22-2012 08:54 AM

Oh bless your heart. My heart breaks for the four year old. I hope being in a safe place with you will help your daughter and her children to get a normal life again and feel safe. Forget the quilting for now and spend all the time necessary with those babies. He needs love and comfort from you more than they need the Christmas gifts. You will get back to quilting eventually when everything stabilizes. Praying for all of you!

Dakota Girl 07-22-2012 08:58 AM

You are dealing with a lot of very emotional issues right now. Your every day life has been not only challenging but it sounds like you are trying to spread your emotions in several directions, not to mention that your normal routine has been interrupted. Like me, your escape has been the comfort and distraction of books. That is OK. I often find it helpful to make a list of priorities and keep it handy.You may even rearrange the order as you look at the whole picture. If helpful, find someone to talk to, a good trusted friend, your pastor or a professional. You may just have to express your anger and pain out loud. Family, of course, comes first, forget the quilting for now. We all will be thinking about you.

newbiequilter 07-22-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5380338)
Thank you all so much for the words. It has been a huge adjustment. Things will get worse. My SIL beat the tar out of the four year old and there is a lot of emotional effects from that. I've suspected he has been hurting him for two years but never left marks. I'm a retired teacher and you learn behaviors kids develop when abused and he as had those. The pieces just weren't falling into place. He has a criminal trial in October and the best thing that could happen is for him to be sent to prison for several years. I know I am the most stable, positive person in their lives right now.

There should be counseling available for your grandson and probably your daughter. They (especially the boy) are victims of a crime. I know the abuse was in a different state but it would not hurt to check out what avenues are open to them. You might start with your local Victim-Witness office - it might be a branch of the Probation Dept. And you probably know some of the right people thru your previous employment. Best wishes and loads of prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

QandE2010 07-22-2012 09:06 AM

Elliegirl, you need to do just what you want to do regarding your quilting. Those children have had their lives turned upside down. Bless you for being there. I remember your post when you told us about your midnight ride. It is sad. Hopefully they and their mother will start to heal, now that they are removed from their terrible circumstances. You have been, and continue to be on my prayer list. Good luck. Take care.

MargeD 07-22-2012 09:11 AM

God bless you for taking in your daughter and your grandchildren. Given the abusive situation, your daughter had the courage to walk away to protect her children, your grandchildren. Just love those children, give your daughter all of your love and support and things will work out. Get help for your grandson and daughter, be there for her and God will find a way to heal all of them and give you the strength you need to see this through.

qltrwannab 07-22-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late (Post 5380152)
Maybe this is Gods way of telling you those grands need more interaction with you than you would provide if you were quilting. You might just need some little things to do while you're enjoying those grands. They grow so fast and you finally have them close to you again. (That will change again soon enough). I'm sure when the wave peaks again, you'll be glad you took the time to help them through this difficult time. You have a 4 yr old going through a rough time (away from Daddy) and kindergarten is right around the corner for him... Enjoy!

DITTO..! Enjoy those grandbabies while you can..and enjoy your reading right now,too..you will bounce back soon..take care...

Taughtby Grandma 07-22-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5379894)
I've found that sewing in general comes in waves for me. Sometimes I'll sew for 6 months straight, every day. Then I'll stop and not sew again for a couple of years. You've got a lot on your plate right now and if all you want to do is read, then you deserve to take time to yourself to read. As for those quilts you'd planned to make for Christmas, you can always make them for next Christmas. Take care of yourself.

I think the same way. Right now you should treasure the time you have for yourself and go back to quiltiing when it calms down some.

carolynjo 07-22-2012 10:48 AM

So glad you can be there for the children. You may need to work with an advocacy group to learn how to help the 4-year old cope with the abuse and learn to trust people again. Bless you in your journey ahead. Quilting can wait. Read quilt magazines for relaxation and don't worry about the needle and thread.

MimiBug123 07-22-2012 11:38 AM

We do what we have to do for our kids and our grands. The only time I ever lit into my SIL was for spanking one of MY grands. Your whole world has been turned upside down, but it will level out. In the meantime, your "me" time has been deleted. I think I would try to sew placemats, or table toppers, or something small while they nap. You know, just a little something to prove to yourself that you're still here! In the meantime, sending prayers your way.