Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for decent pair of scissors?!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-decent-pair-scissors-t72171.html)

patdesign 10-27-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The titanium edge scissors are now the sharpest scissors you can buy. New machinery makes scissor edges quick and less expensive and lighter weight. I read this in a hunting magazine about knife and hatchet blades.

Have seen the titanium ones advertised but don't know if I need anything sharper than my ginghers, anyone had any experience with both?

quiltnchik 10-27-2010 07:43 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend Fiskars. They honor their "lifetime warranty" with no questions asked. In my opinion, that alone makes them the best :)

kclitz 10-27-2010 10:57 AM

(I purchased a Westcott Titanium scissors and it is guarteed to stay sharp for life and if it gets dull they will send you a replacement. The scissors cost $10.00 and well worth it.
Deborah12687)

I purchased a set of Westcott Titanium, 8" and 5", with the soft grip handles for less than $15 and love them. Cuts through anything and life-time quarantee. Excellent!

madamekelly 10-27-2010 02:47 PM

Don't cut anything but fabric/thread with your "good" shears regardless of what brand you get.[/quote]

Thank you NanSew! This should be printed in HUGE letters! This is the most important rule in sewing. If you use them for other things, they will begin to 'chew' through the fabric! If you are going to spend hard earned money (and when isn't it?)for a good pair, why waste it?

RedGarnet222 10-27-2010 02:52 PM

I have had my set of ginghers for so many years and they are still razor sharp. All of them are wonderful.

The other ones I have and love are the mundial snips. They have been around more years than I can count and work great!

One thing I will say is I never leave them where someone can use them for anything but for material and sewing.

I have a pair of fisker's spring type for paper cutting. They are very nice to do that with.

patdesign 10-28-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Don't cut anything but fabric/thread with your "good" shears regardless of what brand you get.

Thank you NanSew! This should be printed in HUGE letters! This is the most important rule in sewing. If you use them for other things, they will begin to 'chew' through the fabric! If you are going to spend hard earned money (and when isn't it?)for a good pair, why waste it?[/quote]

sooooo true!

patdesign 10-28-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by kclitz
(I purchased a Westcott Titanium scissors and it is guarteed to stay sharp for life and if it gets dull they will send you a replacement. The scissors cost $10.00 and well worth it.
Deborah12687)

I purchased a set of Westcott Titanium, 8" and 5", with the soft grip handles for less than $15 and love them. Cuts through anything and life-time quarantee. Excellent!

WHERE DO YOU FIND THEM?

Dee 10-28-2010 08:07 PM

I have been a Fiskars user for over 30 years and love them.

lynnie 10-29-2010 09:17 AM

I love the Mundial serrated scissors. you don
t know that they are serrated unless you run your fingnail over the edge. it grips the s;lipperiest of fabrics, and cuts sooooo smoothly. they are hard to find. reasonabley prices about $18.00 and i've had mine for over 10 yrs with no wear on them. i swear by them.

darlin121 10-29-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by prairiequeen
I am a Gingher Gal

I have to agree!