Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for machine to take RVing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-machine-take-rving-t62330.html)

RV Gloria 09-02-2010 04:38 AM

We live in our RV for 7 months a year right now and will be selling our home in 2011...going full time (already have a buyer for the house)....I take two machines with me...one is a small brother...(plain jane) for simple things and my babylock Ellageo embroidery/quilting machine...we have a class A...several of my friends have a 5th wheels and all of them have different machines...Bernina; Janome; Husqvarna...so it's up to you on what you want to take...and all the ones I posted above are also the embroidery machine....mine sits on our dining table on a slide cloth...when we get ready to eat it slide back to the window...I carry 2 suitcases packed full of cloth...plus one closet has some it it...my DH...we all have the 3 drawer plastic cabinet that rools... you can get a Wally world it's the one with the long drawers...on rollers....it is packed with all my notions embroidery thread regular threads and anything eles that I can get in it....when we pull in the slides to roll down the road...I push it to bedroom and turn it so that it will not roll forward...happy camping...you can do it your way....

mimistutz 09-02-2010 05:00 AM

We are also thinking of upgrading to a 5th wheel, maybe next yeat. I have a Janome Plat Jem 760, same as a couple of others mentioned and I love it. Taking it camping next week. I usually do hand stuff when camping, but this is light enough I wanted to try taking it since we will be in one spot for the week.
Didn't realize how many camped and quilted. It would be neat to have a camping retreat, if there are enough of us in close enough proximity. The guys could do thier thing and we could do ours.

Yankee in Texas 09-02-2010 05:12 AM

I have a reasonably priced machine - a Brother 4000. It was what I could afford at the time my machine of 30 years died! I do love it though, has the needle down feature for quilting, low shank so that I can use all of the feet from my old machine, it is light in weight, has a built in handle for ease of moving it from it's case to the table. And I make items out of blue jeans - so it does some heavy duty sewing as well (with very few needles breaking!) It has 40 built in stitches - but there are 2 other versions out there with more built in stitches. But, I love mine, considering I really miss my old one.

KayBee 09-02-2010 05:13 AM

Janome 3160 QDC!!!!!

basktcse 09-02-2010 05:13 AM

I bring my featherweight and my viking Diamond with the embroidery attachment.....why would I want to be without th big machine and it's goodies. We summer in Maine winter in Florida.
Sheila

sahm4605 09-02-2010 05:18 AM

instead of shipping the machine up there, when you head south why not just pick up the machine down here? save you the shipping and you can travel to a few shops to find one that you like used, just to begin with.

Fabaddict 09-02-2010 05:21 AM

Lots of small wonderful machines have been mentioned here, my suggestion would be to take a piece of fabric or two and go try them out - then make your decision.

Jackey in MO

RV Gloria 09-02-2010 05:25 AM

we have a lot of ladies who live in Maine in the Summer and Tampa Fl. @ MacDill Air Force Base Fam Camp in the winter...we live in NC for now...will be going Full time next April...our son is in the Air Force and he is stationed at Mt. Home AFB in Idaho...we just love to travel...the only place I have not taken my machines is when we spent 2 months with him when he was stationed in Germany...I did carry other things that I could do without a machine...and since we flew with Uncle Sams air line I could take anything on board that I wanted too...its fun to fly the good old C-17s. And cheap for its one of the perks of being retired Air Force ourselves....

dixiechunk 09-02-2010 05:37 AM

Featherweight!!!!!!!!

MamaBear61 09-02-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Linda58
Mamabear,

I just received an e-mail from Janome. They are having a FALL SALE. You might want to check it out.

Linda58

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=2...d&e=1dbab8d183

Thanks I will check this out.