Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for machine to take RVing

My DH and I are currently thinking of upgrading our current RV to a 5th wheel and spending more time travelling. I would like to have a machine to take along. I currently use a Pfaff 7550 and 1200 at home but both are too bulky to take along.
    For those that use machines while travelling what machine do you take along?
    TIA,

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    FEATHERWEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If only I could find one :cry:

Pfaff has a nice mechanical machine that would be good for RV, also Janome has some nice smaller machines. Those two would be my suggestions.

I have the Janome Jem Platinum 760. It's small enough to haul around to classes, lightweight so hubby won't complain about the "weight issue":roll: . and is a workhorse!!! I've sewn TONS of things with it in the last 3 yrs and never had a problem with it

Blog Entries
    i have a janome gem platinum..my DH got me the Sew Easy table for it last year, but i find sewing on the white fold down tables works just fine. they weigh 12 pounds

they make a "gold" model too..less stitches on that one,and cheaper.

but i know there are others out there,that are cheaper and light weight.

I use a babylock audrey. It comes with the quilting table and has over 60 stitches. Many decorative. I use this when we go camping and I love it.

I have a big heavy Bernina that I love, but it, too, it too heavy for travel. Just bought a Bernette, the new little Bernina, and it is just fine for travel, not too small, not too big, just right!

Congrats on upgrading to a fifth wheel. We bought one this spring, just love it. Are you going full-time? Our camper has so much storage space, I could hide all kinds of projects in there. Since we both are still working, we use it when we can. I haven't taken my quilting with me because we are really busy during our short trips. Next year, we are thinking about parking it at a seasonal campground, then my quilting will go with me. If you have any questions about RVing, just PM me

Blog Entries
    I have a fifth wheel. Go out at least every other week end May thru September.
    I purchased an inexpensive Brother ($179.99) at Rocky Mountain Sew Vac. It is very light weight and does everything a larger model does.
    It's perfect.

If you're just going to be piecing, then a Featherweight or something of that size is the way to go. Bernina just came out with a very small machine. The Bernettes are also great and just a little heavier. Janome Gem and Gold are also relatively lightweight. And Baby Lock has a nice little machine that weighs about the same as the Bernette.

My DH is currently retired and I have been for a while so we are thinking we might like to leave Ontario for at least part of the winter and head south. I think I would plan to just take piecing projects and plan to do the quilting part when at home so the machine doesn't have to have alot of bells and whistles but I wouldn't want something that will give me grief either (there is not alot of room for me to blow off steam in a trailer if my machine is acting up, lol). I will look into the ones that have been suggested and see what I can find either local here or that can be shipped into Ontario. My old machine was a Kenmore from Sears, but it was not lightweight either and my daughter does use it some, so I don't want to take it away from her.

We have a motor home and use it frequestly. I have just recently purchased a Featherweight, and it is perfect to take. Before that I just took my Bernina, but is does take up more space.

Since RVs can get very warm, I would recommend getting a mechanical machine (not an electronic machine). Electronic sewing machines should not be in very warm temperatures.

Okay. So I will be the oddball here. We are fulltime RVing. Quilting is my hobby, my entertainment. My husband just bought me a Janome 11000SE. It's awesome. We have travel companions and she quilts (in fact, she is the one that got me started sewing again.). She also has a Janome 11000. We have a wonderful time on the road visiting quilt and fabric shops across the U.S. I would do without pots and pans before I would do without my sewing machine. :)

I just bought the Janome Gold Gem (approx. $400) for our camping trips and I'm tickled pink with it. It weighs 12 lbs. and is small in size. I also went to Hancocks and for $6.88 I found a soft cover carrying bag that the machine fits in perfectly. I'm a happy camper now!!!!!!!!!

Mamabear try and find one of the light weight machine. all the different machine seem to have a light weight one. I have seen on CL and at shops. Kenmore has one and they run about 100.
    They maybe used but they still sew for what you want it for . I also have the same machine you have and it is heavy to carry.There are singer and brother maching that are also LW. Just check around you will find what you want

I have taken my Featherweight all over CA, UT, CO, WY, NV, etc. It is a great little traveller. There are some out there. Check online.
    Verna in So Cal.

I travel 6-8 months in my motorhome every year. I bought the New Janome Horizon in May and I love it!! I have a wheeled & extended handle soft case for it, and it goes under the table when we are on the move. If I am not going to use for awhile, it goes in basement storage or in my car.

I have been RVing for 14 yrs part full time but summers only for the past 5 yrs. I have made all the Grandchildren ( 16) quilts
    and baby blankets for the Hospital. If I go My machine goes,
    But this is our last year to work for the CORP so I will get back to my real sewing room and design wall which i miss a lot

janome gem I have two love them.

I have a Janome Platiumn and really like it. Featherweight would be wonderful, but the Janome's have more stitch options which I like, go to the top of the Janome Jem for that. Of course, this would be an excellent excuse for a Featherweight! Now, that would be a tuff choice.

I am a 3/4 RVer. We took out 2 of the chairs in our rv and gave me a corner. I have a sewing machine (Bernina 830 with embroidery) on a table made for the machine and two 3 drawer stands to hold my thread. I have a tub of fabric I store in the belly of the RV so that I can pick and choose. When we travel the ironing board comes down the desk goes there. Machine on the floor under the table. I love it and would tell anyone to do it.

Also, if you have not upgraded your RV yet. Look at the rv's that have a room in the back for hualing bikes, trikes etc. You can always make that your sewing room instead of the "other" stuff.

I just bought a Babylock Sofia2 to take to classes as I cannot lift my heavy machine. The Sofia also has an embroidery arm which I haven't used at all yet but I love the machine for piecing. The size of it reminds me of the Singer Featherweight.

I love the Babylock machines and wasn't actually shopping for another machine when I saw the Sofia2. It was a happy accident that I was in the shop at that particular moment, my husband was with me and suggested that this machine would be right for me.

Carol in FL

I used to take handwork when we had the little tow behind camper. Then we got our first (and only) RV and I was in heaven. BUT, DH said if I insisted on taking my little Janome Gem with me, he would divorce me. You can't win 'em all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast