Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for machine to take RVing

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons922
    I am a 3/4 RVer. We took out 2 of the chairs in our rv and gave me a corner. I have a sewing machine (Bernina 830 with embroidery) on a table made for the machine and two 3 drawer stands to hold my thread. I have a tub of fabric I store in the belly of the RV so that I can pick and choose. When we travel the ironing board comes down the desk goes there. Machine on the floor under the table. I love it and would tell anyone to do it.

Also, if you have not upgraded your RV yet. Look at the rv's that have a room in the back for hualing bikes, trikes etc. You can always make that your sewing room instead of the "other" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons922
    I am a 3/4 RVer. We took out 2 of the chairs in our rv and gave me a corner. I have a sewing machine (Bernina 830 with embroidery) on a table made for the machine and two 3 drawer stands to hold my thread. I have a tub of fabric I store in the belly of the RV so that I can pick and choose. When we travel the ironing board comes down the desk goes there. Machine on the floor under the table. I love it and would tell anyone to do it.

Also, if you have not upgraded your RV yet. Look at the rv's that have a room in the back for hualing bikes, trikes etc. You can always make that your sewing room instead of the "other" stuff.
    What a great idea!! A toy hauler, so you have a sewing room!!

I have a Janome Jem and they are wonderful!!!! The platinum does everything a full machine will do...needle up/down, needle over etc.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    If you can't find a Featherweight, you could try to find a Singer 301 or 301A. I have my mother's 301A and I've taken it with us in our 5th wheel. It is also a great little machine, small and tough.

Mamabear,

I just received an e-mail from Janome. They are having a FALL SALE. You might want to check it out.

Linda58

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=2...d&e=1dbab8d183

We live in our RV for 7 months a year right now and will be selling our home in 2011...going full time (already have a buyer for the house)....I take two machines with me...one is a small brother...(plain jane) for simple things and my babylock Ellageo embroidery/quilting machine...we have a class A...several of my friends have a 5th wheels and all of them have different machines...Bernina; Janome; Husqvarna...so it's up to you on what you want to take...and all the ones I posted above are also the embroidery machine....mine sits on our dining table on a slide cloth...when we get ready to eat it slide back to the window...I carry 2 suitcases packed full of cloth...plus one closet has some it it...my DH...we all have the 3 drawer plastic cabinet that rools... you can get a Wally world it's the one with the long drawers...on rollers....it is packed with all my notions embroidery thread regular threads and anything eles that I can get in it....when we pull in the slides to roll down the road...I push it to bedroom and turn it so that it will not roll forward...happy camping...you can do it your way....

We are also thinking of upgrading to a 5th wheel, maybe next yeat. I have a Janome Plat Jem 760, same as a couple of others mentioned and I love it. Taking it camping next week. I usually do hand stuff when camping, but this is light enough I wanted to try taking it since we will be in one spot for the week.
    Didn't realize how many camped and quilted. It would be neat to have a camping retreat, if there are enough of us in close enough proximity. The guys could do thier thing and we could do ours.

I have a reasonably priced machine - a Brother 4000. It was what I could afford at the time my machine of 30 years died! I do love it though, has the needle down feature for quilting, low shank so that I can use all of the feet from my old machine, it is light in weight, has a built in handle for ease of moving it from it's case to the table. And I make items out of blue jeans - so it does some heavy duty sewing as well (with very few needles breaking!) It has 40 built in stitches - but there are 2 other versions out there with more built in stitches. But, I love mine, considering I really miss my old one.

Janome 3160 QDC!!!!!

I bring my featherweight and my viking Diamond with the embroidery attachment.....why would I want to be without th big machine and it's goodies. We summer in Maine winter in Florida.
    Sheila

instead of shipping the machine up there, when you head south why not just pick up the machine down here? save you the shipping and you can travel to a few shops to find one that you like used, just to begin with.

Lots of small wonderful machines have been mentioned here, my suggestion would be to take a piece of fabric or two and go try them out - then make your decision.

Jackey in MO

we have a lot of ladies who live in Maine in the Summer and Tampa Fl. @ MacDill Air Force Base Fam Camp in the winter...we live in NC for now...will be going Full time next April...our son is in the Air Force and he is stationed at Mt. Home AFB in Idaho...we just love to travel...the only place I have not taken my machines is when we spent 2 months with him when he was stationed in Germany...I did carry other things that I could do without a machine...and since we flew with Uncle Sams air line I could take anything on board that I wanted too...its fun to fly the good old C-17s. And cheap for its one of the perks of being retired Air Force ourselves....

Featherweight!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda58
    Mamabear,

I just received an e-mail from Janome. They are having a FALL SALE. You might want to check it out.

Linda58

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=2...d&e=1dbab8d183
    Thanks I will check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    instead of shipping the machine up there, when you head south why not just pick up the machine down here? save you the shipping and you can travel to a few shops to find one that you like used, just to begin with.
    I like this idea. I will have to run this by my DH and see what his reaction is. He is usually pretty good about my addiction/habit. (lol)

Great idea!!!

Mamabear,
    To bad you don't live closer to Co. I sell Featherweights. They are great for piecing. Just don't make a mistake, the stitch is so perfect that they are harder to "unsew". We have spent the last 3 winters in Az. in our 5th wheel and I take mine with me, always.... enjoy

I purchased a Janome 3160Q from Brubakerssewing.com. f or our travel trailer.
    Excellent machine. Very light weight and it has a auto thread cutter....I have to have that thread cutter for piecing...no threads all over the trailer..and me. Plus it is a dream to set up and take down since it is so light weight. Call Amy at Brubaker's.
    They know me by name now....great customer service...
    Diana in Texas

We travel extensively in our 5th Wheel. I have a heavy Bernina, but I take it anyway. What I find more difficult to pack along are my cutting mat and ironing board. I use a portable ironing board, but even at that, when I'm sewing it seems that every flat surface has something on it. Some places have conference rooms where they allow you to spread out. In any case, I take the machine I know and love. My machine goes where I go.

We are snow-birds, going to AZ every winter for about 5 months. I couldn't go without my full size Husqvarna-Viking machine! We have a 5th wheel, but it stays in the park, and we carry all we need in the small pick-up and pull a small trailer. Works fine for us!
    perky2

I take my Janomi "Quilters Companion", when we go to Florida, for the winter. We have a fifth wheel and I use the dinette(ours has a booth), to set up my sewing area. It works nice, as the seats will hold your quilts up in place while sewing. Our 5th wheel, has 3 slide outs, so we really enjoy staying in it.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    We are full time RVers. I have a Featherweight in the front closet. I can't say I like it as good as my 40+ year old Singer (400 something, I can't remember) but it sews. And it does zig zag and a few more stitches. I hand quilt so do not use it for that but I have hemed and bound a lot of projects on it. I also do Swedish Weaving and Huck Embroidery. Last Christmas I made each of my four daughters and two granddaughters "Grandma" aprons on this little machine. Happy Trails................

I use the Brother....it is $200 at Wal Mart and exceptional!

My friend travels with her Janome Gem machine. She loves it and says it doesn't take a lot of room, or a featherweight is also good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast