Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sun bonnet sue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sun-bonnet-sue-t294128.html)

sherry mcd 01-17-2018 01:00 PM

sun bonnet sue

I am going to make a sun bonnet sue quilt. There are hundreds of pictures online. I would like to have your input or hints and suggestions. What about size of figure relative to the size of the block. I am looking forward to your words of wisdom. Thank you.

SusieQOH 01-17-2018 01:04 PM

I have several old Sunbonnet Sue quilts. Most of the blocks are about 12 inches with the Sues being about 8-9. I was thinking if you could maybe get a book at the library? That's what I do sometimes when I want to make something more vintage.
Have you found any patterns online? That would even be easier. Hope to see what you make!

HouseDragon 01-17-2018 02:06 PM

Pinterest has kazillions of Sunbonnet Sue quilts, blocks, and most important, links to patterns.

It would take a lifetime to make them all! :thumbup:

Tartan 01-17-2018 03:01 PM

Decide on which type you want. The traditional Sue and Sam or the ones that look like old fashioned ladies. Do you want to quilt in background details behind the figure so you would need more empty space or do you want just the figure in the block. Do you want to add trims and details?
Then decide which kind of applique you want, needle turn or fusible with buttonhole stitch. Have fun and post pictures.

rvsfan 01-17-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon (Post 7984875)
Pinterest has kazillions of Sunbonnet Sue quilts, blocks, and most important, links to patterns.

It would take a lifetime to make them all! :thumbup:

I have seen many quilts on Pinterest I would like to make, but have never been successful in locating the pattern. Have given up on Pinterest.

NZquilter 01-17-2018 06:08 PM

I have made a couple of Sunbonnet Sue quilts. I used 9" blocks for each of them, and one I put the blocks on point.

mamagrande 01-17-2018 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made one using the printed Quilt in a Day fusible interfacing and used the quilt pattern in the Quilt in a Day Sun Bonnet Sue bk. I had fun having Sue doing several things. [ATTACH=CONFIG]587248[/ATTACH]

mamagrande 01-17-2018 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry that the picture is so blurry.[ATTACH=CONFIG]587249[/ATTACH]

quilting cat 01-17-2018 06:46 PM

I agree with SusieQ that the figure should be about 3/4 as tall as the finished block. A traditional "Sue" is a little girl side view, with the hat hiding the face. The adult figure with the old-fashioned dresses that I think Tartan has in mind is called "colonial lady".

NZquilter 01-17-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande (Post 7985030)
I made one using the printed Quilt in a Day fusible interfacing and used the quilt pattern in the Quilt in a Day Sun Bonnet Sue bk. I had fun having Sue doing several things.

Such a lovely quilt! Sunbonnet Sue always makes me smile.