Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sun bonnet sue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sun-bonnet-sue-t294128.html)

Jeanette Frantz 01-17-2018 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple I've made -- these were for boys -- I think my blocks were 12" square, and I did add in some ornamentation, but not a lot. I have another one finished that I did for a gift which I won't post because it hasn't yet been shipped. I'll only post the one photo -- they were almost duplicates. In truth, this one came from images which can be (legally) downloaded off the internet. I used denim for the overalls from worn out jeans (using the non-worn-out parts), and the rest of the fabric came from my stash, little bits and pieces of fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587253[/ATTACH]

minibarn 01-17-2018 09:37 PM

I used and liked the Quilt in a Day SBS book. Have to see if I can post a picture of the quilt I made.

sewbizgirl 01-17-2018 09:41 PM

I think the accuquilt cutters offer a die for SS.

quilterpurpledog 01-18-2018 03:07 AM

I have embroidered lots of redwork Sue's. I have used the iron on patterns on white fabric. I think the design fills about 75% of the square. This allows for cutting the individual blocks apart and flexibility in bordering opportunities. And, if you wanted, you could cut them down a bit (you can't make them bigger after cutting). I have not done any on point, but, I think that is a fun idea. I usually have a red work something going most of the time because it is so portable and you don't need much stuff to carry around.

copycat 01-18-2018 04:08 AM

Our guild made Crayon Colored Sun bonnet Sue blocks for our outgoing president.

The background fabric was bleached muslin, cut over sized to 13.5" square. We traced a Sunbonnet Sue on our block and used crayola crayons to color her clothes. Some members embellished the background with flowers or other art to personalize the block. The figure size was to be at least 10". The unfinished block size was cut down to a 12.5" .

QuiltingNinaSue 01-18-2018 06:10 AM

I just did a drawing of Sam's back side and put a fishing pole in his hand and a kerchief in his hip pocket for a baby quilt going to a friend's nephew. They used the quilt, but kept it as a keepsake for him. The drawing filled the quilt from head to foot and they took a picture of him laying at the side of Sam. Picture was cute.

DonnaPea 01-18-2018 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Sunbonnet Sue, on-point, so she's s little different from others. Lots of fun to make, and a great way to use up some scraps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587266[/ATTACH]

FoxyLady 01-18-2018 08:10 AM

I found a great pattern on Pinterest. It is titled "Going Fabric Shopping with Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Bill" by Marti Mitchell. Nice thing about this pattern is that it tells you the order of placing the applique pieces. The directions say that these figures are 7", but you could enlarge them on a copier.

mengler 01-18-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7985104)
I think the accuquilt cutters offer a die for SS.

Yes accuquilt has Sam and Sue. I bought one use and haven’t used many of the dies but it sure beats cutting
A million little pieces if you have one.

HouseDragon 01-18-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan (Post 7984975)
I have seen many quilts on Pinterest I would like to make, but have never been successful in locating the pattern. Have given up on Pinterest.

That's a shame.

It's very easy to use google image search to find the original photo and follow the link to the original post. Sometimes there's a pattern, sometimes only a photo.

I LOVE Pinterest and, as of today, have 298 Boards with 141,662 pPins.

The lion's share of my boards are quilt related in one way or another. :)

I try to keep an individual board to a reasonable number of pins: there's no way to have 36,000 pins on one board (as I've seen)! You'd never find that special pin ever again! :p