Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Table next to sewing machine... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/table-next-sewing-machine-t256118.html)

Julienm1 10-31-2014 05:27 AM

Table next to sewing machine...

I always look when someone posts their new or reorganized sewing room. But what I've noticed no one except me, it seems, needs a table next to the sewing machine.

Just the two of us now so we eat at the kitchen island so the dining room is MINE, kinda. My sewing table nests into the corner, table at my right elbow, swivel chair. Table serves as cutting table, surface for laying out bocks, cut fabric ready to be sewn etc.

Am I the only one that needs extra space close by?

NJ Quilter 10-31-2014 05:35 AM

My sewing room is rather small - 8x10 and serves as 'guest' room as well so there is lots of furniture in there. My cutting table (like the JAF ones with drop leaves) is directly behind my chair when at the machine, so my ready-to-sew pieces generally are there. If I am paper piecing and need the iron next to me (as I use one end of my cutting table as ironing surface normally), I place a folding, wood 'tv-tray' at right angles beside my machine so I'm not hopping up/down for all those little seams. But then I have to move that table to move anywhere else in the room. My sewing chair does not swivel or roll. It's a bit cramped and somewhat of a challenge when working on larger projects at times but at least I can leave everything out and close the door when I'm done for the day. And the rest of the house doesn't look like a cyclone went through!

toverly 10-31-2014 05:36 AM

I defnitely do! My sewing table is a 30 x 72 folding table. Even then, I have a pile to the right of my machine and even a rolling cart with two shelved for an ironing station and a supply table. My only problem occurs when I have to "quilt" and have to clear everything off. Yikes!

Geri B 10-31-2014 05:39 AM

no you are not alone........have a rolling table about the size of a kitchen island to left of sewing desk, it happens to be the same height as sewing desk...I think at one time it was a typewriter table(remember those!!) ironing board to right...so this forms a U, me in the middle...and behind me is large cutting table with shelves all around room...books, fabric fill those to almost overflowing..........time to thin out.... this ship is sinking!!!!!

Gannyrosie 10-31-2014 05:57 AM

I think what we see is the rooms before they are used. They are all very nice, and organized and don't look lived in yet. I have a cart behind my little desk with just the tops of 2 tv trays sitting on top of it. I have my Old singer sitting perpendicular to my sewing table. Iron board is nearby.. Cutting table is the middle leaf of my oblong dinning table sitting on top of two book shelves. Since I'm not a formal entertainer. I never use the leaf, so I've reclaimed it from under my bed.

ManiacQuilter2 10-31-2014 06:02 AM

You need a table nearby to support your quilt if you are quilting using your DSM. I live in a small senior apt and my Living room is my quilting studio.

imsewnso 10-31-2014 07:24 AM

Have to have my table beside me....it holds all the "stuff" I need while creating. :)

Tartan 10-31-2014 08:08 AM

​My main table with my machine I keep fairly clean. I have my treadle with the leaf extended to my right elbow for all my stuff. I keep all my stuff on a cookie sheet on the treadle leaf so I can pick the sheet up to move everything if I want to sew on my treadle.

zennia 10-31-2014 08:23 AM

I thought something was wrong with me because I never have enough room. Thank You all for making me feel better.

RainydayQuilter 10-31-2014 08:23 AM

I keep my ironing board set up in front of the window. My sewing desk is right in front of that so all I have to do is swivel my chair around and press or put a small cutting board on it to trim. I only have a couple of hours to sew in during the evening, so it works for me. I have an old wooden kitchen chair that sits next to my chair on the right side for my quilt inspector (cat) to curl up on, if the chair isn't there or is full of stuff, then he thinks he has to be up by the sewing machine or on my fabric I'm sewing.