Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table next to sewing machine... >

Table next to sewing machine...

Table next to sewing machine...

Old 10-31-2014, 05:27 AM

Default Table next to sewing machine...

I always look when someone posts their new or reorganized sewing room. But what I've noticed no one except me, it seems, needs a table next to the sewing machine.

Just the two of us now so we eat at the kitchen island so the dining room is MINE, kinda. My sewing table nests into the corner, table at my right elbow, swivel chair. Table serves as cutting table, surface for laying out bocks, cut fabric ready to be sewn etc.

Am I the only one that needs extra space close by?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:35 AM

My sewing room is rather small - 8x10 and serves as 'guest' room as well so there is lots of furniture in there. My cutting table (like the JAF ones with drop leaves) is directly behind my chair when at the machine, so my ready-to-sew pieces generally are there. If I am paper piecing and need the iron next to me (as I use one end of my cutting table as ironing surface normally), I place a folding, wood 'tv-tray' at right angles beside my machine so I'm not hopping up/down for all those little seams. But then I have to move that table to move anywhere else in the room. My sewing chair does not swivel or roll. It's a bit cramped and somewhat of a challenge when working on larger projects at times but at least I can leave everything out and close the door when I'm done for the day. And the rest of the house doesn't look like a cyclone went through!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM

I defnitely do! My sewing table is a 30 x 72 folding table. Even then, I have a pile to the right of my machine and even a rolling cart with two shelved for an ironing station and a supply table. My only problem occurs when I have to "quilt" and have to clear everything off. Yikes!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:39 AM

no you are not alone........have a rolling table about the size of a kitchen island to left of sewing desk, it happens to be the same height as sewing desk...I think at one time it was a typewriter table(remember those!!) ironing board to right...so this forms a U, me in the middle...and behind me is large cutting table with shelves all around room...books, fabric fill those to almost overflowing..........time to thin out.... this ship is sinking!!!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 AM

I think what we see is the rooms before they are used. They are all very nice, and organized and don't look lived in yet. I have a cart behind my little desk with just the tops of 2 tv trays sitting on top of it. I have my Old singer sitting perpendicular to my sewing table. Iron board is nearby.. Cutting table is the middle leaf of my oblong dinning table sitting on top of two book shelves. Since I'm not a formal entertainer. I never use the leaf, so I've reclaimed it from under my bed.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

You need a table nearby to support your quilt if you are quilting using your DSM. I live in a small senior apt and my Living room is my quilting studio.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:24 AM

Have to have my table beside me....it holds all the "stuff" I need while creating.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

​My main table with my machine I keep fairly clean. I have my treadle with the leaf extended to my right elbow for all my stuff. I keep all my stuff on a cookie sheet on the treadle leaf so I can pick the sheet up to move everything if I want to sew on my treadle.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I thought something was wrong with me because I never have enough room. Thank You all for making me feel better.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM

I keep my ironing board set up in front of the window. My sewing desk is right in front of that so all I have to do is swivel my chair around and press or put a small cutting board on it to trim. I only have a couple of hours to sew in during the evening, so it works for me. I have an old wooden kitchen chair that sits next to my chair on the right side for my quilt inspector (cat) to curl up on, if the chair isn't there or is full of stuff, then he thinks he has to be up by the sewing machine or on my fabric I'm sewing.