Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tackle Box as a Kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tackle-box-kit-t244455.html)

Boston1954 04-03-2014 04:33 PM

Tackle Box as a Kit

I am thinking about getting a fishing tackle box to be my kit when I quilt at church on Tuesdays.

I am wondering if any of you have one, and is it worth it? Just now I have a little box with a snap on top, but whenever I want something from the bottom, I have to take out just about everything else to get to it.

Jackie Spencer 04-03-2014 04:36 PM

I have used a tackle box for years for all my Crazy Quilting stuff. Embroidery Floss, Silk Ribbon, all the different needles, beads, charms. I love it. Has worked very well for me.

jmoore 04-03-2014 04:38 PM

I think a tackle box is a great idea if you can find one that fits your needs. I use one for my cake decorating supplies (tips, bags and food coloring). I think I need one for some of my sewing accessories.

RST 04-03-2014 05:01 PM

I use a wooden artist's supply chest -- about the same size as a tackle box, but the configuration works better for my needs. There's a removable tray on the top for tools, then the lower portion has sections you can configure to fit your needs or leave open. It's a nice solution for me.

FroggyinTexas 04-03-2014 05:11 PM

Iuse a plastic box recommended by a young man in the fishing department at Wal Mart. He told me that his grandmother, who is a quilter, uses that box. It has several compartments but does not lift like the tackle box. They are slim enough to fit into my sewing machine cabinet drawers. I bought three to stack and they are in constant use--and for under $5 each. The tackle box looks great. froggyintexas

dakotamaid 04-03-2014 05:14 PM

What a great idea! I could use 2 or 3 of those. Thanks for the hint. :)

Peckish 04-03-2014 05:14 PM

Not a bad idea. I think a tackle box would be a tad too large for me, unless they make pretty small ones. I use a plastic box that is about 6" wide, 3" long, and 1.5" deep. It's the perfect size for me, I use it for handwork and I don't need much more than extra needles, two or three bobbins with different colored thread, some small scissors, and a thimble.

sewingsuz 04-03-2014 05:28 PM

I think the tackle box is a great idea. There is also a makeup box like that at walmart. It is pink and also light blue. That also would work.

CanoePam 04-03-2014 06:13 PM

I use a small tackle box for my traveling sewing supplies, and I have done so for years. Mine has a lift out tray and a larger compartment on the bottom. I love it since it is easy to carry and waterproof. Lots cheaper than something equivalent at the sewing store.

Pam

GailG 04-03-2014 06:22 PM

I used a tackle box for my art supplies when I painted. Now I use one (not the same one;)) for my cake decorating supplies. I've never thought of getting one for my quilting tools. Good idea!