Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell us about that one special quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-us-about-one-special-quilt-t42136.html)

CanadianLoon 04-10-2010 02:26 PM

The quilt I remember most was the one our teacher at the LQS bought in for show and tell. She is one of the most talented quilters we knew and we were a bunch of newbies.
The quilt was her very first quilting effort.
Unfortunately none of us could stop laughing when we saw it. It was the most wonky, uncoordinated 'quilt' we had ever seen. She said 'now you know there is hope for anyone'!!

ScrapQuilter 04-10-2010 04:49 PM

Well here is my story
I belong to another quilt group on the net. When several of the gals I chat with found out I was making a scrappy double Irish Chain......... they sent me 2" squares from around the world. Frabric from these places. South Africa, Australia, England, Canada, and the US. Now every time I look at this quilt it reminds me of the wonderful friends I have made from around the world. I call it my double Irish Chain from around the world. The second quilt that means so much to me is the first quilt I made with my granddaughter... She is a gal - when she sets her mind to something she will acomplish it. She is 12 years old and one weekend when she came to stay with me she said grandma I want to make a quilt.... she sat and sewed all day till she had the top done. I will always treasure the times we spend sewing and I know she will too. She is now making her second quilt. School has gotten in the way of the quilt but there will be this summer.

ProudGranny5 04-10-2010 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Marjpf

Originally Posted by DebraK

Originally Posted by Shibori
Well, it's a story that doesn't end well but here goes. I made my first show quilt in 1997. A large Mariner's Compass that I still love to this day...EXCEPT that when I see it I get very angry. That quilt took months to hand quilt and my mom loved it so I gave it to her after the show. We lived in TX at the time so it was a few years before I got to come home to visit to see how she hung it. It was out in the shed, hung up to cover a window, with rusty nails pounded through it. I've always held my tongue about this because I feel that once you give a quilt, it's not up to you how its' treated but this torqued me so much because she knew how hard I worked on it. I was not prepared for how she wanted to use it. I hate to say it, but I won't give her any more of my quilts.

My mother used a Cathedral Windows quilt, that I made especially for her, to cover her washer and dryer so she could put the cat's litter box up there. To this day she wonders why I haven't given her another.

My step son used the Hawaiian needle turned, hand quilted, quilt I made him (took about 10 months to make) to cover some old tires in his garage. I feel your pain.

I feel all your pain....this is a repeat story of my one 'special' quilt that I made and my story. Hope you don't mind the repeat.
When I do finish another quilt for my granddaughter...I will be sure to post it as some requested.

I am a self taught quilter. I decided to make my oldest granddaughter a quilt. It took me over 85 hours to make this quilt as I hand cut all her letters out for her name and sewed them. My husband drew me a moon for his part in the quilt. I traced my granddaughter's little hands as well.
There is a story behind this quilt. Maggie always loved the moon and said it was 'her moon' and she would say she loved you more than the moon and stars and whole wide world. So with that ... I put her quilt together.
As you can see, there is a big star and 2 smaller stars on one side. That is Maggie and her little twin sisters. The 2 stars by the moon are her 2 older step sisters. The 2005 was hand sewn as was the year she was born and on the other side I put 'Love Mamaw' with a heart.
Long story short ... I found out past Thanksgiving Day, that the quilt was burnt as it had been torn and 'messed up' as Maggie said. Her older step-sister threw it in a fire. She was so sad.
Needless to say...I was heart broken but held back my tears. I told Maggie that I would make her a new quilt and she could pick out the colors. Then the smile came on her face. I even told her that I still had her handprints to put back on the quilt. This new quilt...when I get it started will go to her daddy's house where it will be taken care of for sure.
I still have 4 more to make for my other 2 sets of twins.
Just a reminder to all you quilters...when you make a quilt 'out of love' for someone... you can't always expect it to be taken care of. Thanks for listening
ProudGranny5

watson's mom 04-10-2010 09:04 PM

ProudGranny5.. your quilt was perfect, so precious. Sorry to hear it was ruined but your DGD loved it while she had it. I think you are right about sending the new one to Dad's house.

zz-pd 04-10-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5

Originally Posted by Marjpf

Originally Posted by DebraK

Originally Posted by Shibori
Well, it's a story that doesn't end well but here goes. I made my first show quilt in 1997. A large Mariner's Compass that I still love to this day...EXCEPT that when I see it I get very angry. That quilt took months to hand quilt and my mom loved it so I gave it to her after the show. We lived in TX at the time so it was a few years before I got to come home to visit to see how she hung it. It was out in the shed, hung up to cover a window, with rusty nails pounded through it. I've always held my tongue about this because I feel that once you give a quilt, it's not up to you how its' treated but this torqued me so much because she knew how hard I worked on it. I was not prepared for how she wanted to use it. I hate to say it, but I won't give her any more of my quilts.

My mother used a Cathedral Windows quilt, that I made especially for her, to cover her washer and dryer so she could put the cat's litter box up there. To this day she wonders why I haven't given her another.

My step son used the Hawaiian needle turned, hand quilted, quilt I made him (took about 10 months to make) to cover some old tires in his garage. I feel your pain.

I feel all your pain....this is a repeat story of my one 'special' quilt that I made and my story. Hope you don't mind the repeat.
When I do finish another quilt for my granddaughter...I will be sure to post it as some requested.

I am a self taught quilter. I decided to make my oldest granddaughter a quilt. It took me over 85 hours to make this quilt as I hand cut all her letters out for her name and sewed them. My husband drew me a moon for his part in the quilt. I traced my granddaughter's little hands as well.
There is a story behind this quilt. Maggie always loved the moon and said it was 'her moon' and she would say she loved you more than the moon and stars and whole wide world. So with that ... I put her quilt together.
As you can see, there is a big star and 2 smaller stars on one side. That is Maggie and her little twin sisters. The 2 stars by the moon are her 2 older step sisters. The 2005 was hand sewn as was the year she was born and on the other side I put 'Love Mamaw' with a heart.
Long story short ... I found out past Thanksgiving Day, that the quilt was burnt as it had been torn and 'messed up' as Maggie said. Her older step-sister threw it in a fire. She was so sad.
Needless to say...I was heart broken but held back my tears. I told Maggie that I would make her a new quilt and she could pick out the colors. Then the smile came on her face. I even told her that I still had her handprints to put back on the quilt. This new quilt...when I get it started will go to her daddy's house where it will be taken care of for sure.
I still have 4 more to make for my other 2 sets of twins.
Just a reminder to all you quilters...when you make a quilt 'out of love' for someone... you can't always expect it to be taken care of. Thanks for listening
ProudGranny5

your quilt is beautiful, and may be you can make it the same for her. Penny

ProudGranny5 04-10-2010 10:32 PM

Thank you so much Penny. The new quilt will have some changes to it. I will be making it twin size this time. Maggie wants alot of 'pink' in it including a pink moon...lol. On the left side by the moon, I will be putting a blue star for her 'daddy' & just might change the colors of her twin sisters stars.
All five of my grandchildren will have a jean quilt with my design and a story behind it.
THEN I plan on making them all an "I Spy" quilt.

zz-pd 04-10-2010 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ProudGranny5
Thank you so much Penny. The new quilt will have some changes to it. I will be making it twin size this time. Maggie wants alot of 'pink' in it including a pink moon...lol. On the left side by the moon, I will be putting a blue star for her 'daddy' & just might change the colors of her twin sisters stars.
All five of my grandchildren will have a jean quilt with my design and a story behind it.
THEN I plan on making them all an "I Spy" quilt.

I am just learning to quilt, but I want to make one for hubby, mom, father in-law, all 3 of my boys and daughter in-law, and my 2 grandchildren, I am also trying to get jeans to make my two older boys a jean quilt for there birthdays, my oldest is 29 in may, I think I will do rag quilt as it dose not use batting. and I only have one pack of batting and it is a full. and I would not have that if it was not for a sweet ladie on the board. Penny

Crossstitcher 04-11-2010 06:20 AM

Oh my goodness :cry:

Crossstitcher 04-11-2010 06:26 AM

I have a special quilt. It took 15 years to make. It started when my husband had some surgery done and wasn't able to move around much. He was a building contracter and built houses. So I put him to work designing victorian shops with different store fronts and roof tops. I cross stitched each shop and put a special name on each. Then he designed his old one room school house and blue stone church. I also added a picture of our old old court house. Turned out to be about 18 buildings. Then made it into a quilt. I entered it into the state fair and came in second. Boy was I suprised to see the ribbon hanging on it.

Crossstitcher 04-11-2010 06:34 AM

Well I counted wrong there are 23 buildings. Anyway it's my favorite because my hubby helped.