Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell us about that one special quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-us-about-one-special-quilt-t42136.html)

watson's mom 04-13-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
My special quilt is the one you see in my avatar. I started that one about 4 years ago. I saw pictures of very old antique quilts and decided to do my own version of one. I called it 42 Windows. I drew each block (window) on butcher paper, cut the pieces out and appliqued them on white muslin. It was such fun that I may have to do another one. This one thrilled me so much after I finally finished it that I entered it in the Paducah Kentucky quilt show. I got accepted and am now waiting to see how I did. I wanted to go but just couldn't make it. So far away and costs so much to get there no matter how you go. Cross your fingers for me. There will be an article in our Itemizer Observer paper in Dallas Oregon this Wednesday.

Is that all hand applique? Whichever it is , it is beautiful. Good luck at Paducah.

canmitch1971 04-13-2010 10:36 AM

This reminds me of something I made for my Dad but it wasn't a quilt. I used to do decorative painting so I made this little foot stool for my Dad for his birthday one time. I worked so hard on it painting beautiful trilliums, maroon and white ones, on a black background. I was so proud of it because it really did turn out nice. Next time I went to see him at the senior's residence he had his urinal on it. I was not happy!!! I have made a lap quilt for him too.

My mother used a Cathedral Windows quilt, that I made especially for her, to cover her washer and dryer so she could put the cat's litter box up there. To this day she wonders why I haven't given her another.[/quote]

rhueluna 04-13-2010 10:44 AM

Yes its all old fashioned applique. All cotton and hand quilted. It was quite a challenge. I did it in rows and connected them after I quilted the rows. 2 and 3 rows at a time. Easier to do and much more fun than trying to hand quilt that whole thing on my lap. I don't use a frame. I would get nowhere if I did. Already tried that.

I also have done hand made things that were abused. I learned since that the people that abused them had no idea what anyone puts into making it. They are ignorant and really don't know what they are doing. I pick and choose who I give the special work to and who I give the easy work to. If they knew or understood how special these handworked items were,they may pay more attention. When I give a person a quilt and they call it a blanket, I know I am in trouble.

luvin quilting 04-13-2010 11:40 AM

Thanks for the picture. Amazing and beautiful.

rhueluna 04-13-2010 12:21 PM

Thank you very much.

Damkina 04-13-2010 01:42 PM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread with all the lovely stories of your special quilts. Sorry I'm going to waffle a bit here...

My own special quilt is the one I did for my son, it was my third quilt and designed by myself from scratch.
My boy had just Passed Out (Graduated) from Army training and was going overseas on his first tour. I really felt as though I should do 'something' to mark the event.
So, on the day he got on the plane I was sat in our living room when the idea came for an applique quilt with all the Battalion Colours, Motto and symbols/emblems sewn into it.
I hand sewn every stitch on his quilt as he travelled again across the world to do his duty... this time in Afghanistan and it was finished for him just in time as he came home.

When I gave it to him later that day, he said he loved it, then quietly wrapped himself up in it, sat down and fell straight asleep. I was so proud of him, and heartbroke at what he had gone through, but seeing him asleep under his quilt always brings a smile to my face.
Words just can't explain what his quilt represented.

rhueluna 04-13-2010 03:49 PM

What a beautiful story. I don't have any that can compete with that. Maybe others will be inspired to do a quilt like that for the same reason. Terrific.

Pzazz 04-13-2010 03:53 PM

Damkina....

I am so glad to hear your son came home safely. What a special treat for him to come to your quilt of love.

Patti

Boston1954 04-13-2010 04:46 PM

I have made many quilts. Six of them I gave to my husband. He loves them greatly. He has not said that he likes any one over the others. He is not that way. But one stands out for me. I made one with pictures of our dog Lieber. (that's him on the left). There were 4 pictures from baby puppy to grown dog. I had fun making it for him, even though it is tied. I did not have the courage to hand quilt at the time I made it, but I am quite proud of it.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-13-2010 05:40 PM

I made a baby quilt, that I made up and it came out great.