Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell us about that one special quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-us-about-one-special-quilt-t42136.html)

Miss Purple Shoes 04-11-2010 09:07 AM

I saw an idea whilst watching Eleanor Burns on how to make a D9P. It was the first time I had seen this so I logged it in my mind for later. A couple of months later the school I was working in wanted to celebrate World Green Day. I decided to make a quilt to celebrate this by making it out of much loved fabrics in the form of my old PJ's. The batting was pieces that I had and the backing was an old damask table cloth. I sewed the PJ buttons and notions onto the back to cover the worn out bits. Hey presto a lap quilt that was totally recycled. Roll forward a few months. My DH and I were on a 5 month road trip. He had a serious parachuting accident and was hospitalised for a month. When he went to rehab he was chilly in his wheel chair. Out came the recycled PJ quilt and he hasn't let it go since. He calls it his cootch! and has it by him in the house to put over when he gets cold. It is not the best quilt I have made but it is the most special.

Pzazz 04-13-2010 09:03 AM

What wonderful stories!!!! I have loved reading every one...event he sad, abused quilts. :( I am so sorry to hear that these works of love were so disrespected.

I think I have not yet made my favourite quilt. When I was visiting my mom about a year after my dad died, we were going thru' some boxes of fabric which my mom wanted to send home with me. Her eyesight was getting to a point that she knew she would not be doing anymore sewing. My dad was the quilter, and in amongst the fabric pieces, there was one lonely finished block. My mom is now 90. I am planning to make a lap quilt around that block for her. I will be seeing her in June, so I should be able to get it done to take with me.

Patti

Lyn4ty 04-13-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
What wonderful stories!!!! I have loved reading every one...event he sad, abused quilts. :( I am so sorry to hear that these works of love were so disrespected.

I think I have not yet made my favourite quilt. When I was visiting my mom about a year after my dad died, we were going thru' some boxes of fabric which my mom wanted to send home with me. Her eyesight was getting to a point that she knew she would not be doing anymore sewing. My dad was the quilter, and in amongst the fabric pieces, there was one lonely finished block. My mom is now 90. I am planning to make a lap quilt around that block for her. I will be seeing her in June, so I should be able to get it done to take with me.

Patti

What a lovely gift that will be for her, I'm sure in time that will become one of your very favorites.

rhueluna 04-13-2010 09:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My special quilt is the one you see in my avatar. I started that one about 4 years ago. I saw pictures of very old antique quilts and decided to do my own version of one. I called it 42 Windows. I drew each block (window) on butcher paper, cut the pieces out and appliqued them on white muslin. It was such fun that I may have to do another one. This one thrilled me so much after I finally finished it that I entered it in the Paducah Kentucky quilt show. I got accepted and am now waiting to see how I did. I wanted to go but just couldn't make it. So far away and costs so much to get there no matter how you go. Cross your fingers for me. There will be an article in our Itemizer Observer paper in Dallas Oregon this Wednesday.

rhueluna 04-13-2010 09:31 AM

That biker quilt is so awsome. I really like that. Congrats on finishing it up. :D

luvin quilting 04-13-2010 09:38 AM

Wonderful quilt. I'd like to see more of it. It's so impressive.

rhueluna 04-13-2010 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you. I will attach a picture of the whole thing. Glad you like it.

ranger 04-13-2010 09:50 AM

Lovely touching stories. Just read through every post.I'm so glad Irish started this thread.

Lyn4ty 04-13-2010 10:06 AM

Fantastic quilt! will keep my fingers crossed you win a ribbon cause it sure deserves one!

anglgrl 04-13-2010 10:19 AM

wow really nice I hope that you do get a ribbon it is fantastic.