Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are there any other " idiots " out there like me???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-any-other-%22-idiots-%22-out-there-like-me-t32631.html)

hereca622 12-30-2009 08:43 PM

When my DD was a baby, I had a comforter on my bed. It was mass produced and they had used monofilament thread. I was lifting her up and notice that the comforter was coming too. She had her little finger under a loop of thread and it would have sliced her tiny little finger. I was terrified. This was 30 yrs. ago when they used the thick wire like thread. I think even cotton thread would cut you, but at least you can see it. In the end, these people have been talking to the parents and nurses through the years and know what the hazards are. The rules are to make the quilts as safe as possible for children that are already sick and don't need more pain.

sandpat 12-31-2009 07:04 AM

Well...I'm so glad you posted.....Unfortunately...I qualify to "join" you little club... :wink:

FinelyFabricated 12-31-2009 07:09 AM

Sounds just like something I would do. Check with the local homeless or battered women's shelter. Check the police and fire departments too. Some of them carry comfort items like quilts and teddies in their cars for emergencies.

The Babe 12-31-2009 07:22 AM

We could be long-lost sisters! LOL Also, my idiocy goes a step further into reading recipes correctly. I will say that I have become a "pro" at fixing recipes where I have misread ingredients or instructions.

kwhite 12-31-2009 07:26 AM

Here we have a crisis pregnancy center. I am sure one of those girls would love your quilt.

judithb 12-31-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
I hate to read instructions, I do stuff like that all the time.

Read the instructions??? Wow, Maybe that's why I can't understand how to use my new Blackberry!

Quilt Mom 12-31-2009 07:59 AM

Whoops! I was about ready to send a Q4K quilt. Seems I didn't read the directions completely either.
Thanks for the heads up on zigzagging the binding down. :oops:

MadQuilter 12-31-2009 08:35 AM

I quilted a quilt with monofilament thread moons ago and washed it a gazillion times. It is still just fine. Didn't use it in the binding - but why would that make such a big difference?

That said? Just the fact that I opened the "could I be an Idiot" thread, suggests a resounding YES. I turned the pieces of my lone star so now I have a bright streak going down into each point. Yeah, I could call it a "variation on a theme" or I could call it a bonehead move. One of these days, I need to finish that beastie.

judithb 12-31-2009 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I quilted a quilt with monofilament thread moons ago and washed it a gazillion times. It is still just fine. Didn't use it in the binding - but why would that make such a big difference?

That said? Just the fact that I opened the "could I be an Idiot" thread, suggests a resounding YES. I turned the pieces of my lone star so now I have a bright streak going down into each point. Yeah, I could call it a "variation on a theme" or I could call it a bonehead move. One of these days, I need to finish that beastie.

Or Artistic License! One of my first quilt teachers said in quilting there are o mistakes, just pattern variances. That is one thing that inspires me as a quilter and keeps me happy!

GrammaNan 12-31-2009 10:03 AM

There are so many mistakes that could have been worse. I know because I have made them. I agree with giving it to another charity, maybe this was meant to be?