Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t115087.html)

mpspeedy 04-10-2011 03:09 PM

I use a thimble on my left thumb all of the time. I used to buy the short black leather ones. Most recently I discovered that if I cut down one of the brown leather ones I use on my right middle finger they worked just great and didn't constantly fall off like the black ones because it has a bit of elastic to help it stay on. I usely cut down one I have used for a while that is well broken in and starting to wear badly.

KimS 04-10-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
small round rubber discs ( minature idea of rubber jar dics )
I have replaced the idea of needing a thimble using these.

However, when hand quilting.. only use a quiters thimble, has a ridge around the top to catch the needle. differant from the round top thimble.

good post !
Ell

I bought so many different thimbles to try that I could open my own store. I finally bit the bullet and paid the price for a Roxanne. LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! Did I say I love it? LOL!!!

Scrap Happy 04-10-2011 03:14 PM

I've used a leather thimble for my thumb.

Summer Spice 04-10-2011 03:15 PM

I use leather but I make my own by cutting the fingers off soft leather gloves. I found this is the only way I can get one big enough to go over my arthritic knuckles. I also use two sided carpet tape on my finger nail to keep it in place.
How desperate is that?LOL

KimS 04-10-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy

I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.

Scrap Happy 04-10-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by KimS

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy

I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.

OUCH :!: :cry: Thanks for letting me know.

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 05:21 PM

Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)

Susie Quilter 04-10-2011 05:35 PM

I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.

KimS 04-10-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)

LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!

KimS 04-10-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.

I tried countless thimbles but none of them were comfortable until I bought my Roxanne. I guard it with my life!