Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t115087.html)

kathdavis 04-10-2011 07:05 PM

I collect thimbles, but can't seem to use one. When any kind of thimble is on my finger, I use a different finger to push the needle in. I have started hand embroidering again and the head of the needle makes it way into my finger. I purchased a pack of corn pads. Cut them into fourths and that is what I use on my finger to push the needle through. They stick on and it seems to work great.

aorlflood 04-10-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by KimS

Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.

This is what I saw.

This is what I use.

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)

LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!

I think it left me the last time I decided to run for public office. :lol: Actually, hand sewing makes my hands ache. That my story and I'm stickin' to it.

jitkaau 04-11-2011 03:00 AM

I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.

KimS 04-11-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.

I checked on Clover's website and that's where I'd seen the others I thought might work. Thanks for reminding me. :-D

dd 04-11-2011 04:13 AM

I think I have tried every shape, size and material thimble out there. I have longer nails and really like cheaper version of the Roxanne, haven't been able to bring myself to buy one yet. Then I'll be afraid I'll loose it. I have a thumble, used that for a while. I also keep a rubber finger on my index finger, like the mailman uses, so when my needle gets stuck in the quilt with too many stitches on I can pull it thru. Now I just use it all the time and I don't have to struggle with the needle going thru seams or anything.

KimS 04-11-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by dd
I think I have tried every shape, size and material thimble out there. I have longer nails and really like cheaper version of the Roxanne, haven't been able to bring myself to buy one yet. Then I'll be afraid I'll loose it. I have a thumble, used that for a while. I also keep a rubber finger on my index finger, like the mailman uses, so when my needle gets stuck in the quilt with too many stitches on I can pull it thru. Now I just use it all the time and I don't have to struggle with the needle going thru seams or anything.

I've got a box full of thimbles! Different sizes, shapes and materials but they all made me feel clumsy when quilting. I broke down and purchased my Roxanne about a month ago and what a difference!!! You don't even know it's there and works so well with long or short nails. I read online how to measure my finger for it and it said to use a jeweler's ring and add 1 size. I did that but think I'd been better off not adding a size. Maybe 1/2 a size if any. I was going to send it back and get a smaller size but decided to keep it because every time I went to put it in a box to mail it the thought of being without it for several weeks was horrible! Aren't we something?! LOL!!!

jacie 04-11-2011 05:11 AM

I guess I have a large finger for thimbles to fit, Joannes type are useless to me... this is a good discussion , but would you please identify your good thimbles ? I do not know the initial identity of what you like.

used to have one that was open so my long nail would fit, but don't have that anymore..... long story..... anyway, I would love to hear more about your favorite ones.

sharkee 04-11-2011 05:18 AM

Kim

I use the Teds thumb thimble and love it. I even went and bought a second one so if I ever lost one I could still quilt. I also use the Roxanne thimble on my middle finger. I have 2 of them, one is a little larger because during the warmer months my finger is bigger. I also have the spoon and the paddle among many others but the Roxanne and Teds thumb thimble seem to work the best for me

BeckiQuilts 04-11-2011 05:20 AM

I am a wacky quilter. I am left handed, use one leather thimble that I rotate from finger to thumb. When I get tired pushing with my finger, I switch to my thumb. It works for me. I have tried all kinds, but my favorite is the leather one with a knit top. It seems to hold on longer. I also trim down the length sometmes. I don't remember where I got it, Joann's or Hancocks, but it was $14.