Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t115087.html)

luvrazz 04-11-2011 09:27 AM

I use my acrylic nails...

Linda1 04-11-2011 11:27 AM

I have tried to quilt with my thumb so I could quilt on my frame but I can't control the stitches. I also bought a Roxanne thimble ($39.00 on sale) and I don't like it on any finger I will keep trying to use it till I get used to it but I constantly go back to the cheaper thimbles.

KimS 04-11-2011 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jacie
I guess I have a large finger for thimbles to fit, Joannes type are useless to me... this is a good discussion , but would you please identify your good thimbles ? I do not know the initial identity of what you like.

used to have one that was open so my long nail would fit, but don't have that anymore..... long story..... anyway, I would love to hear more about your favorite ones.

The only one I've found that I really, really, really like is the Roxanne. Some like TJ Lane thimbles too but they're a little more expensive than Roxanne. TJ Lane also has open thimbles like the Roxanne pictured. There's a tailor's thimble that's open on the end. My Grandma used the thimbles she bought at the fabric store and had a size for every finger but I just can't use those. I'm sure other quilters who have been doing this longer than I have can also add to this disucssion so please join in!!! :-D

Roxanne open thimble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182757[/ATTACH]

TJ Lane finger thimble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182761[/ATTACH]

Tailor's thimble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182806[/ATTACH]

monkicat 04-11-2011 11:38 AM

I quilt using a 14" lap hoop and use a thumb thimble like you described to quilt away from me. So on my right hand I have a thimble for my middle finger and the thumb thimble so I can quilt in any direction. I don't use anything on my left hand...

KimS 04-11-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by monkicat
I quilt using a 14" lap hoop and use a thumb thimble like you described to quilt away from me. So on my right hand I have a thimble for my middle finger and the thumb thimble so I can quilt in any direction. I don't use anything on my left hand...

I don't use anything on my left hand either. I want to feel when that needle comes through the layers.

KimS 04-11-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dd
I think I have tried every shape, size and material thimble out there. I have longer nails and really like cheaper version of the Roxanne, haven't been able to bring myself to buy one yet. Then I'll be afraid I'll loose it. I have a thumble, used that for a while. I also keep a rubber finger on my index finger, like the mailman uses, so when my needle gets stuck in the quilt with too many stitches on I can pull it thru. Now I just use it all the time and I don't have to struggle with the needle going thru seams or anything.

That's a good idea! :thumbup:

KimS 04-11-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay
I don't use a thumb thimble, but I do use a thimble on my middle finger. Either a Roxanne or a TJ Lane, I have 4 TJ Lanes, they are the greatest. I use the Roxanne when I have problems in pushing the needle through, it depends on the batting. Yes, I have put holes in the TJ Lane, but send them back to TJ Lane and they repair or replace. They are the greatest, I really prefer the fit of TJ Lane over the Roxanne, I guess, I feel that I get what I pay for.

Maybe next I'll try a TJ Lane. Do you get the one that's shaped like the Roxanne?

Caroline S 04-11-2011 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have always found it difficult to use a metal thimble because I have always had long nails. The purchased leather ones always seemed too thin for my taste. So, I custom make my own out of scrap dearskin leather. Any leather will do though. When the thimble gets thin from use I make another. They last me a long time. And it is another use for scraps even though they are leather.

Leather thimble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182842[/ATTACH]

Leather thimble on my finger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182843[/ATTACH]

KimS 04-11-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I have always found it difficult to use a metal thimble because I have always had long nails. The purchased leather ones always seemed too thin for my taste. So, I custom make my own out of scrap dearskin leather. Any leather will do though. When the thimble gets thin from use I make another. They last me a long time. And it is another use for scraps even though they are leather.

When I bought a leather thimble I liked it until I didn't realize it was getting thin and REALLY drove the eye of the needle into my finger! That's when I said no more of that. If you make your own you can control the quality of leather. Good idea. :thumbup:

Melody 04-11-2011 12:58 PM

I love my Roxanne thimble!! I have large fingers and wear it on my middle finger which means it fits my thumb very well. I find it easy to thumb quilt when I'm at the big frame or the quilt stand by my comfy chair. The Roxanne has some weight to it. It is by no means flimsy and actually feels like I'm wearing jewelry! I got mine on sale in Shipshewana, Indiana for $22. I could not pass that up and glad I didn't.