Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thimbles

Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.

Blog Entries
    I use a leather thimble.

I have not personally done that, but have seen others use them. I would think they would be more important if you are quilting using a frame rather than a hoop.

I use a tailor's thimble. It's big enough to fit my thumb.

Janet

I use a leather thimble, but only when I am stitching the binding down.

Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.
    This is what I saw.

Ted's Brass Thumb Thimble
    Name:  Attachment-182387.jpe
Views: 109
Size:  2.1 KB

I quilt with my thumb all the time and use my fingernail but eventually drill a hole in the nail. So I sprung for a TJ Lane thimble that is big enough to fit my thumb. I have one for my index finger and one for my thumb. Prior to getting the TJ Lane I bought one like you are describing and I did not find it to work very well. The cup where the needle sits has no dimples or anything to hold the needle and I found my needle would slip or more aptly ricochet right out of it. I lost patience with it very quickly. Maybe with practice it would have worked. If you PM me your mailing address and if I can still find it I will be happy to mail it to you.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by huntannette
    yes
    What type do you use?

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    small round rubber discs ( minature idea of rubber jar dics )
    I have replaced the idea of needing a thimble using these.

However, when hand quilting.. only use a quiters thimble, has a ridge around the top to catch the needle. differant from the round top thimble.

good post !
    Ell

I use a thimble on my left thumb all of the time. I used to buy the short black leather ones. Most recently I discovered that if I cut down one of the brown leather ones I use on my right middle finger they worked just great and didn't constantly fall off like the black ones because it has a bit of elastic to help it stay on. I usely cut down one I have used for a while that is well broken in and starting to wear badly.

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    small round rubber discs ( minature idea of rubber jar dics )
    I have replaced the idea of needing a thimble using these.

However, when hand quilting.. only use a quiters thimble, has a ridge around the top to catch the needle. differant from the round top thimble.

good post !
    Ell
    I bought so many different thimbles to try that I could open my own store. I finally bit the bullet and paid the price for a Roxanne. LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! Did I say I love it? LOL!!!

Blog Entries
    I've used a leather thimble for my thumb.

I use leather but I make my own by cutting the fingers off soft leather gloves. I found this is the only way I can get one big enough to go over my arthritic knuckles. I also use two sided carpet tape on my finger nail to keep it in place.
    How desperate is that?LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.
    OUCH :!: :cry: Thanks for letting me know.

Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)

I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)
    LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.
    I tried countless thimbles but none of them were comfortable until I bought my Roxanne. I guard it with my life!

Blog Entries
    I collect thimbles, but can't seem to use one. When any kind of thimble is on my finger, I use a different finger to push the needle in. I have started hand embroidering again and the head of the needle makes it way into my finger. I purchased a pack of corn pads. Cut them into fourths and that is what I use on my finger to push the needle through. They stick on and it seems to work great.

This is what I saw.
    This is what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!
    I think it left me the last time I decided to run for public office. :lol: Actually, hand sewing makes my hands ache. That my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.
    I checked on Clover's website and that's where I'd seen the others I thought might work. Thanks for reminding me. :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast