Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Thimbles

  1. #1
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    I use a leather thimble.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boonville, Missouri
    Posts
    187
    I have not personally done that, but have seen others use them. I would think they would be more important if you are quilting using a frame rather than a hoop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    943
    I use a tailor's thimble. It's big enough to fit my thumb.

    Janet

  5. #5
    Super Member CAgirl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,007
    I use a leather thimble, but only when I am stitching the binding down.

  6. #6
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.
    This is what I saw.

    Ted's Brass Thumb Thimble
    Name:  Attachment-182387.jpe
Views: 109
Size:  2.1 KB

  7. #7
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,779
    I quilt with my thumb all the time and use my fingernail but eventually drill a hole in the nail. So I sprung for a TJ Lane thimble that is big enough to fit my thumb. I have one for my index finger and one for my thumb. Prior to getting the TJ Lane I bought one like you are describing and I did not find it to work very well. The cup where the needle sits has no dimples or anything to hold the needle and I found my needle would slip or more aptly ricochet right out of it. I lost patience with it very quickly. Maybe with practice it would have worked. If you PM me your mailing address and if I can still find it I will be happy to mail it to you.

  8. #8
    Super Member huntannette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northern ontario
    Posts
    4,221
    yes

  9. #9
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by huntannette
    yes
    What type do you use?

  10. #10
    Super Member chairjogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Posts
    2,753
    Blog Entries
    2
    small round rubber discs ( minature idea of rubber jar dics )
    I have replaced the idea of needing a thimble using these.

    However, when hand quilting.. only use a quiters thimble, has a ridge around the top to catch the needle. differant from the round top thimble.

    good post !
    Ell

  11. #11
    Super Member mpspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rural Maryland
    Posts
    1,566
    I use a thimble on my left thumb all of the time. I used to buy the short black leather ones. Most recently I discovered that if I cut down one of the brown leather ones I use on my right middle finger they worked just great and didn't constantly fall off like the black ones because it has a bit of elastic to help it stay on. I usely cut down one I have used for a while that is well broken in and starting to wear badly.

  12. #12
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    small round rubber discs ( minature idea of rubber jar dics )
    I have replaced the idea of needing a thimble using these.

    However, when hand quilting.. only use a quiters thimble, has a ridge around the top to catch the needle. differant from the round top thimble.

    good post !
    Ell
    I bought so many different thimbles to try that I could open my own store. I finally bit the bullet and paid the price for a Roxanne. LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! Did I say I love it? LOL!!!

  13. #13
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've used a leather thimble for my thumb.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Summer Spice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    601
    I use leather but I make my own by cutting the fingers off soft leather gloves. I found this is the only way I can get one big enough to go over my arthritic knuckles. I also use two sided carpet tape on my finger nail to keep it in place.
    How desperate is that?LOL

  15. #15
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I've used a leather thimble for my thumb.
    I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.

  16. #16
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    I've used a leather thimble for my thumb.
    I tried a leather thimble and wore through it but didn't know it. Now I'm a little gunshy because when you don't expect the eye of that needle to go in your finger it hurts that much worse.
    OUCH :!: :cry: Thanks for letting me know.

  17. #17
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)

  18. #18
    Super Member Susie Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the Ozarks
    Posts
    1,174
    I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.

  19. #19
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)
    LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!

  20. #20
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
    I use a leather thimble for my thumb when I do applique. Other than that, I don't use one. I never got used to using a thimble on any other finger. I guess it's all what you get used to.
    I tried countless thimbles but none of them were comfortable until I bought my Roxanne. I guard it with my life!

  21. #21
    Super Member kathdavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Blue Springs, Missouri
    Posts
    2,499
    Blog Entries
    2
    I collect thimbles, but can't seem to use one. When any kind of thimble is on my finger, I use a different finger to push the needle in. I have started hand embroidering again and the head of the needle makes it way into my finger. I purchased a pack of corn pads. Cut them into fourths and that is what I use on my finger to push the needle through. They stick on and it seems to work great.

  22. #22
    Super Member aorlflood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    currently living in WV
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Does anyone use a thumb thimble? There are times when I'm quilting I get to a point where I use my thumb to push the needle through. As you know the eye of the needle also goes into my thumb and that hurts!!! I saw one that was like a ring and had a small cup type part on it where the needle would rest when it was pushed through.
    This is what I saw.
    This is what I use.

  23. #23
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Oops, I'm getting out of here and you people are scaring me! I don't hand quilt, and have no desire to. Enjoy your thread without me. :-)
    LOL!! Where's your sense of adventure!
    I think it left me the last time I decided to run for public office. :lol: Actually, hand sewing makes my hands ache. That my story and I'm stickin' to it.

  24. #24
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,119
    I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.

  25. #25
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I use the ring with the cup shape that you describe in your post. I also have others that are just rings. The first one is a Sashiko thimble and the others are ordinary Japanese thimbles. I got them because the other thimbles always fall off my fingers because of the shape of my fingertips being very tapered. The Japanese thimbles also leave your fingers free to hold needles easily. Clover sells them.
    I checked on Clover's website and that's where I'd seen the others I thought might work. Thanks for reminding me. :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.