Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   for those of you that paper piece.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-you-paper-piece-t20405.html)

loves2quilt 05-21-2009 02:26 PM

what kind of paper do you use? I was taught to use freezer paper and find thats the only way I can do it now. I found a pattern and printed out the template on regular paper and now Im tracing that pattern onto freezer paper...very tedious...there are 4 blocks to make one block, and you need 20 blocks, so I need to trace that template..80 times!!! It is taking me forever..is there a better way to do this? I also got a brainstorm..figured Id just print it onto freezer paper...well, my copier didnt like that, chewed up the paper and broke off a little roller...now nothing will print...geez..I think I can fix it with super glue, keeping my fingers crossed. So if you have a better way to do this without all the tracing Id love to hear it, cause Im stumped!!

kluedesigns 05-21-2009 02:33 PM

if i'm going to take out the foundation i use velum if its staying in to add support to the fabrics i use interfacing.

azam 05-21-2009 02:37 PM

Try newsprint paper, you can purchase it at a school supply. I'm not sure if they carry it at an office supply store. I suppose you can call and find out. Hope this helps!!!

BellaBoo 05-21-2009 02:49 PM

Kids scribble/drawing pads that have the tanish color paper works great. It prints fine in an ink jet printer. I find I have to trim 1/2 off the width but I do a stack at a time. I like the pads sold at Staples called Kids Scribble pad, three pads to a package.

One thing you could do is sew the outline of the pattern through several layers of freezer paper using no thread and a used needlle. Deli sandwich paper works good for sewing through.

MadQuilter 05-21-2009 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by loves2quilt
now Im tracing that pattern onto freezer paper...very tedious...there are 4 blocks to make one block, and you need 20 blocks, so I need to trace that template..80 times!!

Why don't you get the freezer paper in 8.5x11 sheets and run it through the printer? I would either create a template page on a computer paint type/graphics program or print the pattern off an existing pattern file (pdf).

SaraSewing 05-21-2009 03:31 PM

I just buy cheap copy paper. Run it through a regular copier. It works fine.

mic-pa 05-21-2009 03:51 PM

I actually buy paper sheets sold by Carol Doak who is the queen of foundation paper pcing. It goes thru my printer without a problem and is lighter weight. Easy to sew thru. Marge

amma 05-21-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent

This is what I use too. When I am ready to remove it I fold it first and sometimes run my finger along the fold and then open it back up and then it tears off very neatly. I very rarely need to pick out any little paper pieces. I do sometimes use news print, I bought a end roll of it from my local newspaper for little of nothing and it is handy for making bigger blocks :wink:

mimisharon 05-21-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent

Me, too, I try to find the recycled copy paper, it tears away easier and it's a cinch to copy onto sew onto. I haven't used freezer paper since the first paper piecing I tried on my own. It's to heavy for pp. I only use it for templates now.

sandpat 05-21-2009 03:58 PM

I'm with the cheap copy paper users...it works for me without any problems.