Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread decision (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-decision-t295457.html)

cindyb 03-15-2018 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 8021984)
Was the glue stick you used a purple color that says disappearing color? (Elmers washable school glue)

Yikes. I was in a class and the lady next to me used the purple color. Even though it says 'dries clear' when she put the iron on it - instant stain. I love using the sticks, but only the white.

MarleneC 03-15-2018 09:03 AM

Beautiful quilting--can't wait until you can show us the front.

madamekelly 03-15-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8021082)
Glad to hear it worked out! Was the Elmer's glue stick you used one of the ones that washes out? I've been thinking about changing from spray basting to glue basting, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that if I use liquid glue it will end up everywhere LOL

Rob

I use glue basting and it is one of those “figure out how it works for you” things. For me, I bought a gallon of Elmer’s school glue, and pour it into a picnic type squeeze bottle (like you put ketchup in) and holding it about 10”-12” above my surface, squeeze as evenly as I can, make swirls around and over each other aiming for about four inches between the lines of glue. I do half the quilt at a time, and DH helps me roll the top layer back over the glue. Smooth, and allow to dry or you can speed it up using an iron with a Teflon press cloth to catch any glue that seeps through, or use a blow dryer on high, held four inches above the fabric. Works for me.

themadpatter 03-15-2018 02:38 PM

I use the purple Elmers glue sticks when I am piecing instead of pins. Too many years of garment sewing to be able to go no pins cold turkey. Lol! Thanks for the info about the stains- I hadn't noticed any yet because I am using colored fabris *so far*. Glad I saw it before I started on the white sashing!
I have my washable Elmer's all diluted and ready to go, I'm just too chicken to try it so far. All us glue chickens should make a wall hanging or something and try it. It'll be like a 12 step meeting. "Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm afraid to glue baste."

madamekelly 03-15-2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter (Post 8022345)
I use the purple Elmers glue sticks when I am piecing instead of pins. Too many years of garment sewing to be able to go no pins cold turkey. Lol! Thanks for the info about the stains- I hadn't noticed any yet because I am using colored fabris *so far*. Glad I saw it before I started on the white sashing!
I have my washable Elmer's all diluted and ready to go, I'm just too chicken to try it so far. All us glue chickens should make a wall hanging or something and try it. It'll be like a 12 step meeting. "Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm afraid to glue baste."

My first glue baste was a 12” x 18” wall hanging, using light and medium fabrics, no stains after washing Worked great, but I watched a lot of videos first.

Pat M. 03-16-2018 01:17 PM

You should make a test, could show some yellow on back if tension is off.