Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread decision (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-decision-t295457.html)

Tartan 03-13-2018 06:02 AM

Thread decision

1 Attachment(s)
This is the back of a wall hanging. I really like how the gray thread blends with the green fabric. I need to put some quilting in the yellow flower on the front. I would like to keep it all the same thread on the back but need to put yellow on the front. I am contemplating putting yellow in the top and the grey in the bottom and use my regular foot and turn the piece as needed. I think that has a better chance of not getting thread pokies showing on either side. What do you think? I really like how the Elmer's glue stick basted the wall hanging with no hard spots or discoloration on the solid backing fabric.[ATTACH=CONFIG]590731[/ATTACH]

Maggie_Sue 03-13-2018 06:58 AM

Wow that is amazing, would love to see the front!!!

Rhonda K 03-13-2018 07:12 AM

Yes, you can use the yellow thread on top and grey in the bottom. It should be fine. Love the quilting design and of course we want to see the front too!

Tartan 03-13-2018 08:18 AM

2 different threads and my regular foot worked fine. I can't show the front until after gifting.

rryder 03-13-2018 12:25 PM

Glad to hear it worked out! Was the Elmer's glue stick you used one of the ones that washes out? I've been thinking about changing from spray basting to glue basting, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that if I use liquid glue it will end up everywhere LOL

Rob

cashs_mom 03-13-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8021082)
Glad to hear it worked out! Was the Elmer's glue stick you used one of the ones that washes out? I've been thinking about changing from spray basting to glue basting, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that if I use liquid glue it will end up everywhere LOL

Rob

That's my fear, too! lol

Tartan 03-13-2018 07:53 PM

I used the Elmer's glue stick with the orange top that says it is washable on the package. I put a dab about every 4 inches on 80/20 batt. I smoothed and ironed the front and then did the back. Be aware it really sticks when it is dry and if you want to reposition, you can spray with water and carefully peel up the fabric. It works well on small pieces but I think you would run into problems on a big quilt. If you got a wrinkle as you quilted, it would be pretty hard to unstick all the dabs so you could reposition.

quilterpurpledog 03-14-2018 03:32 AM

For whatever reason I almost always wind up using a different quilting thread on the top than on the bottom of my pieces and never seem to have problems. I generally like the back thread to be uniform and perhaps several colors on the front. I also am a glue baster. I use watered down Elmer's school glue that I just drizzle on. When watered down, it is easy to control and avoid hard spots. I let it dry overnight before quilting and do not iron it. After a trip through the washer, all the glue is gone. Really like the method. I am about ready to give my pins away.

copycat 03-15-2018 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8021299)
I used the Elmer's glue stick with the orange top that says it is washable on the package. I put a dab about every 4 inches on 80/20 batt. I smoothed and ironed the front and then did the back. Be aware it really sticks when it is dry and if you want to reposition, you can spray with water and carefully peel up the fabric. It works well on small pieces but I think you would run into problems on a big quilt. If you got a wrinkle as you quilted, it would be pretty hard to unstick all the dabs so you could reposition.

Was the glue stick you used a purple color that says disappearing color? (Elmers washable school glue)

jmoore 03-15-2018 03:17 AM

Tartan, it looks great! Like Purpledog, I often use two different threads after checking my tension. Thanks for the glue basting tips ladies, I have not yet tried it.