Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread decision

Power Poster

Thread decision

This is the back of a wall hanging. I really like how the gray thread blends with the green fabric. I need to put some quilting in the yellow flower on the front. I would like to keep it all the same thread on the back but need to put yellow on the front. I am contemplating putting yellow in the top and the grey in the bottom and use my regular foot and turn the piece as needed. I think that has a better chance of not getting thread pokies showing on either side. What do you think? I really like how the Elmer's glue stick basted the wall hanging with no hard spots or discoloration on the solid backing fabric.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1080
Size:  271.0 KB

Wow that is amazing, would love to see the front!!!

Yes, you can use the yellow thread on top and grey in the bottom. It should be fine. Love the quilting design and of course we want to see the front too!

Power Poster
    2 different threads and my regular foot worked fine. I can't show the front until after gifting.

Glad to hear it worked out! Was the Elmer's glue stick you used one of the ones that washes out? I've been thinking about changing from spray basting to glue basting, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that if I use liquid glue it will end up everywhere LOL

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out! Was the Elmer's glue stick you used one of the ones that washes out? I've been thinking about changing from spray basting to glue basting, but I know me and I'm pretty sure that if I use liquid glue it will end up everywhere LOL

Rob
    That's my fear, too! lol
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    I used the Elmer's glue stick with the orange top that says it is washable on the package. I put a dab about every 4 inches on 80/20 batt. I smoothed and ironed the front and then did the back. Be aware it really sticks when it is dry and if you want to reposition, you can spray with water and carefully peel up the fabric. It works well on small pieces but I think you would run into problems on a big quilt. If you got a wrinkle as you quilted, it would be pretty hard to unstick all the dabs so you could reposition.

For whatever reason I almost always wind up using a different quilting thread on the top than on the bottom of my pieces and never seem to have problems. I generally like the back thread to be uniform and perhaps several colors on the front. I also am a glue baster. I use watered down Elmer's school glue that I just drizzle on. When watered down, it is easy to control and avoid hard spots. I let it dry overnight before quilting and do not iron it. After a trip through the washer, all the glue is gone. Really like the method. I am about ready to give my pins away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I used the Elmer's glue stick with the orange top that says it is washable on the package. I put a dab about every 4 inches on 80/20 batt. I smoothed and ironed the front and then did the back. Be aware it really sticks when it is dry and if you want to reposition, you can spray with water and carefully peel up the fabric. It works well on small pieces but I think you would run into problems on a big quilt. If you got a wrinkle as you quilted, it would be pretty hard to unstick all the dabs so you could reposition.
    Was the glue stick you used a purple color that says disappearing color? (Elmers washable school glue)

Blog Entries
    Tartan, it looks great! Like Purpledog, I often use two different threads after checking my tension. Thanks for the glue basting tips ladies, I have not yet tried it.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    Was the glue stick you used a purple color that says disappearing color? (Elmers washable school glue)
    Yikes. I was in a class and the lady next to me used the purple color. Even though it says 'dries clear' when she put the iron on it - instant stain. I love using the sticks, but only the white.

Beautiful quilting--can't wait until you can show us the front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post

Rob
    I use glue basting and it is one of those “figure out how it works for you” things. For me, I bought a gallon of Elmer’s school glue, and pour it into a picnic type squeeze bottle (like you put ketchup in) and holding it about 10”-12” above my surface, squeeze as evenly as I can, make swirls around and over each other aiming for about four inches between the lines of glue. I do half the quilt at a time, and DH helps me roll the top layer back over the glue. Smooth, and allow to dry or you can speed it up using an iron with a Teflon press cloth to catch any glue that seeps through, or use a blow dryer on high, held four inches above the fabric. Works for me.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I use the purple Elmers glue sticks when I am piecing instead of pins. Too many years of garment sewing to be able to go no pins cold turkey. Lol! Thanks for the info about the stains- I hadn't noticed any yet because I am using colored fabris *so far*. Glad I saw it before I started on the white sashing!
    I have my washable Elmer's all diluted and ready to go, I'm just too chicken to try it so far. All us glue chickens should make a wall hanging or something and try it. It'll be like a 12 step meeting. "Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm afraid to glue baste."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    I use the purple Elmers glue sticks when I am piecing instead of pins. Too many years of garment sewing to be able to go no pins cold turkey. Lol! Thanks for the info about the stains- I hadn't noticed any yet because I am using colored fabris *so far*. Glad I saw it before I started on the white sashing!
    I have my washable Elmer's all diluted and ready to go, I'm just too chicken to try it so far. All us glue chickens should make a wall hanging or something and try it. It'll be like a 12 step meeting. "Hi, I'm Patti, and I'm afraid to glue baste."
    My first glue baste was a 12 x 18 wall hanging, using light and medium fabrics, no stains after washing Worked great, but I watched a lot of videos first.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

You should make a test, could show some yellow on back if tension is off.