Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Throwing away a project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/throwing-away-project-t299242.html)

lzeider 08-31-2018 03:33 PM

Rhonda, Scant is just a couple threads less than a 1/4" seam and makes the blocks join better. Mainly points on blocks.

Stitchnripper 08-31-2018 04:14 PM

I have never thrown anything away. I finish everything. I don't have much of a stash, just some big remnants and scraps people have given me. Right now I have two to quilt and one to finish the top and then quilt. Not counting the ongoing project that someone sent me when her mother passed. She sewed all the strips wonky so I am taking them apart and redoing. I have no deadline and it is something to do when I go to quilt at the Friday UFO if I don't feel like concentrating.

NZquilter 08-31-2018 04:24 PM

I always have a plan B, if I don't like it I'll finish it anyway and give it to my sister! She can't sew to save her life and really doesn't have an eye for crafts or anything. She's a little bit ditzy :D She would probably say 'oh how nice' and not think much more of it... :D So far she hasn't received any rejection quilts, but its my back up plan, lol!

MarLeClair 08-31-2018 04:25 PM

I threw a quilt class project away. Sewing is supposed to be fun. When it isn't, throw it out.

zozee 08-31-2018 04:54 PM

I threw out a small project that kept sapping my energy, joy, creative juices. I wanted to be a trooper, to congratulate myself for resourcefulness, to figure out a way to like it more, but it was just plain ugly. I would put it away and bring it out later. Uglier. Finally, I said to myself, "You throw out meals you couldn't stand--why keep trying to salvage this hot mess?" I mean, I felt so awful just looking at it that I couldn't even give it to Goodwill. Since then, I have given away one UFO that I tried hard to love because I custom designed it as a project bag, lined and everything with pockets for my rulers. What did I learn from it? Don't use fabrics you don't like! That was the kicker--the colors did nothing for me.

pewa88 08-31-2018 04:59 PM

Yes, I have thrown away two baby onesies that I messed up the embroidery design on. One of them got a section pulled down into the machine and I had to cut it to free it, only thing to do was throw it away. The other one finished up way off center and no way to fix it threw it away. I always use experiences like that as a learning situation and move on.

Tartan 08-31-2018 04:59 PM

​I have thrown something into my scrap bin. I used my rotary cutter later to cut scraps from it without taking out the seams.

meyert 08-31-2018 05:15 PM

I still remember the frustration when I was making my first son's quilt. I was pregnant and there was not easy access to help on the internet back then. I still remember throwing it away... I didn't know how to fix it and recover. It still bums me out a little bit. That was the only that I actually threw away. Now I donate them if I don't like them
But if that's what you got to do then do it :)

toverly 08-31-2018 05:34 PM

Yep, I have thrown away a top that just didn't turn out. Not going to pass along ugly. No one was the wiser.

NJ Quilter 08-31-2018 05:44 PM

I haven't yet but I would not hesitate to throw out something that was that frustrating to me. In fact, I have sampler blocks from when I first started quilting that are very wonky, at best. Next time I run across them in the mess that is my sewing room currently, I will not hesitate to toss. Even my 'largeish' scraps go to a fellow quilter who is far more creative than I.