Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Throwing away a project

Throwing away a project

How many of us have gotten so frustrated over a small project such as a Halloween table runner that we've given up and thrown it away? Having to make scant 1/4 inch seams is making the joining of seams lumpy...twisting seams isn't helping. This simple runner of half square triangles is about to become part of this weeks trash. Has anything similar happened to you??

Blog Entries
    Haven't thrown anything away, but have donated some! A project I gave to salvation army was on the rack one week, but gone the next. One quilter's trash could be another quilter's treasure!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

​Been there done that!!!!
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I did that once with some cross stitch. Some colors did not match and I just gave up. I also had a machine applique iris that did not turn out right. I abandoned it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I think it happens to everyone! I recently donated a quilt top that was 95% done. I had just one inner border left to put on then the larger border to finish. I really disliked the sashing color I chose; it just didn't look good in real-time. I figured it was just best to cut my loses and stop thinking about what I should have done differently.

Yes, I give myself permission to trash it and move on! I re-stitch embroidery machine blocks with issues too. A recent boo-boo was made into a nice pillow though.

It is Ok to move on with any method you are comfortable with using; fix-it, rip-it or toss it!

PS: I personally don't get the scant 1/4 inch seam and do my best to avoid using them.

I haven't thrown out but I've donated to Good Will or places like that. I can't hang on to things that drive me nuts.

Yesterday I got out some of my autumn table runners. These were some of the first projects I made several years ago, I will donate them to Goodwill as I would be almost embarrassed to put them out now.

I almost wanted to kick a project into the neighbor's bonfire. (But I kept working at and it is my favorite).
    But I have thrown other projects away and didn't regret it. Life is short.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Yes! I tossed out two ufo projects last week. I was never going to get them to look better. Didn't bother me at all in fact I felt good getting them out of my sight.

I haven't thrown anything away. I always figure I can cut it up and do some improvisational piecing if I'm really not liking something I've been working on.

For problems with seam allowances that just won't lay flat, I've been known to use heavy starch (stay flow mixed 50/50 with water) and smash them with the iron. If they're still not flat enough for my liking after they're dry, I take the top, flip it over onto a board covered with another cloth to protect the top and use a hammer on the backside to hammer the intersections where the seam is bulky. This is an old tailor's trick for working with bulky fabric like denim, but it works very well with quilt tops made of regular quilting fabric. I do this a lot when I've got a situation where lots of seams come together.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    many years ago i made a grandmother's garden.
    i designed and printed the fabrics myself.
    i hand-stitched the whole top and then hand quilted it.
    the only thing i did using the machine was to attach the binding.
    while hand-stitching the binding ... down to the last few feet, mind you, i stuck myself with the needle.
    blood all over the quilt.
    no way to get the blood out without wrecking the prints.

it went into the trash.

lots of cussing that day.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Heaven's No! I have put something away for a Long time until I figure out how to fix or change it so it is satisfactory to me. I can't afford to throw away my fabric or time.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Oh Patrice - I am so sorry that you could not get the stains out after all that work!! I hope you took pics of your progress at different steps of your project so you could have something from all of your efforts!!

Rryder - That's the way to do it to flatten those fibers!! I LOL when I read your post but I have read/heard of tailors doing that. I collect vintage pressing irons and one of the tailor irons that I have from the early 1900s weighs 38lbs - it is a very large beast and I suppose the weight of it helped flatten the wool seams of many garments.
    Deb

There's always a 'Plan B'... Unless the fabric is dry rotted, it can be used for something else or given away to someone else who will want to make it into something. My worst UFO is a very old small quilt I started decades ago as a wall hanging for my sewing area. It's rows of bright colored pieced spools on a black background. I had virtually no stash then, and used the WRONG kind of fabric for the background. Started hand quilting it and gave up. It sat forever, but now my cat loves it as her bed, folded in quarters. Great use for it!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ahhh, so glad to read this today. I have a finished baby blanket with a crooked corner glaring at me from my finished project rack. I hate it. I could rip the seams and start over, but I want to just cut it to pieces and reuse what I can for a different project (and throw away the rest). It’s hard when you’ve spent money on it, but I feel like the reaponseain this thread from experienced quilters has given me “permission” to do so.

I have donated a TON of fabric. Impulse buys (or cheaper quality, before I knew better) that I fell of love with. I’m a fabric hoarder, but only if I love the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Don't throw it away until you read the Tutorial below. I think it was on page 6 of the Tutorial Section. At least don't act in haste; sleep on it.

hread: Achieving an Accurate 1/4" Seam Allowance

Search Thread
    Display

01-12-2011, 06:35 PM #1
    AndiR

Someone was having trouble today with her blocks not being the correct size. I'm posting this tutorial to help anyone who is not sure how to tell if they are sewing accurate 1/4 inch seams. If this is hard to read, I have a version here:

http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/ac...-inch-seam.htm

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shoofly1; 08-31-2018 at 02:26 PM.

A friend of mine had purchased a rather expensive bag kit at a quilt show. She bought it to make and give to a niece expecting a baby. Well, the instructions were odd to say it nicely, she ended up cutting something wrong, I thought he could work around it with a minor extra seam (she was the one that told me the person receiving doesn't know what it is supposed to be, so simple changes aren't the end of the world). We were in a Vegas time share doing our yearly sewing get together - and she just got more and more disgusted with it. The next morning, it was gone - she had taken everything but the hardware and threw it down the trash shoot. She didn't even keep the instructions. I thought she should have written the designer or go on line and see if others had the same problem - turns out there were a lot of them. My friend felt vindicated - she has made quite a few bags and purses without a problem, so it was very frustrating for her.

But it gave me courage to throw things away and also give them away. I need to make a trip to our local senior center and give them the yarn I have that I can't seem to throw out. They make also sorts of wonderful items with partial skeins of yarn.

I have broken down and thrown out a few projects. They were just things I absolutely hated. Decided I have enough projects to work on and if I dislike it that much, it should go!
    Heather

I never throw away anything like that. My choices making up donations quilts are not always to my liking so I finish them up and donate. My quilts go to kids that lots of times have almost nothing. I figure there is enough pretty fabrics they may like and they will be warm. A warm quilt to keep someone warm is important to me. I never put my name on any quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Rhonda, Scant is just a couple threads less than a 1/4" seam and makes the blocks join better. Mainly points on blocks.
    Last edited by lzeider; 08-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I have never thrown anything away. I finish everything. I don't have much of a stash, just some big remnants and scraps people have given me. Right now I have two to quilt and one to finish the top and then quilt. Not counting the ongoing project that someone sent me when her mother passed. She sewed all the strips wonky so I am taking them apart and redoing. I have no deadline and it is something to do when I go to quilt at the Friday UFO if I don't feel like concentrating.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I always have a plan B, if I don't like it I'll finish it anyway and give it to my sister! She can't sew to save her life and really doesn't have an eye for crafts or anything. She's a little bit ditzy She would probably say 'oh how nice' and not think much more of it... So far she hasn't received any rejection quilts, but its my back up plan, lol!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I threw a quilt class project away. Sewing is supposed to be fun. When it isn't, throw it out.
    Marilyn

I threw out a small project that kept sapping my energy, joy, creative juices. I wanted to be a trooper, to congratulate myself for resourcefulness, to figure out a way to like it more, but it was just plain ugly. I would put it away and bring it out later. Uglier. Finally, I said to myself, "You throw out meals you couldn't stand--why keep trying to salvage this hot mess?" I mean, I felt so awful just looking at it that I couldn't even give it to Goodwill. Since then, I have given away one UFO that I tried hard to love because I custom designed it as a project bag, lined and everything with pockets for my rulers. What did I learn from it? Don't use fabrics you don't like! That was the kicker--the colors did nothing for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast