Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tie quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tie-quilting-t34074.html)

Olivia's Grammy 01-13-2010 04:51 PM

I've tied a couple. Some quilts just tell you what they want. When I tie a quilt I like to use the high loft poly batting.

shaverg 01-13-2010 05:02 PM

Definitely tied is just as much a quilt as quilted. I have a few of my grandmothers, some are tied and some are quilted. I love all of them the same.

Ninnie 01-13-2010 05:06 PM

I did a scrappy with 4 in squares, over 400 of them, and each one from different piece of material. I tied it. And loved the look. It was so colorful, that it didn't need anything else. Just a use around the house quilt, but I enjoyed doing it.

littlehud 01-13-2010 05:50 PM

I have never tied a quilt but that's how my grandma did all of hers. They were warm, cuddly and filled with love.

nellebelles 01-13-2010 11:44 PM

I used to tie all of my quilts, but have been hand or machine quilting them for about 20 years now. I find that my quilts that are quilted stay together better than the tied ones. It could also be due to an improper seam allowance too though... I am a much better quilter now than I used to be! I've learned as I go, and that could be why my quilts stay together better now.

sewNso 01-13-2010 11:51 PM

20 yrs ago, i tied what quilts i made. i used polester quilting at the time. and the quilts seemed to finish fluffer than quilted ones i do now. more like comforters, at that time. needed the warmth in the drafty old house we were living in. if you do, tie them close. and redo the ties, whenever you notice one is undone.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 05:26 AM

I have to tie, can't do much quilting because the hands just don't work well anymore. I think they look fine. When doing it this way, you need to make a square knot. It is strong and will not come out.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Tied quilts are just as much a quilt as a machine or hand quilt is.

they sure are.

Quilt Mom 01-14-2010 05:39 AM

My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.

pocoellie 01-14-2010 05:45 AM

I've tied many more than I've quilted. The majority of my quilts have been lap size and donated to local shelters at the time. I plan on making scrappy and donating them to the local senior home and the fire department. They'll probably be tied.