Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tie quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tie-quilting-t34074.html)

cande 01-14-2010 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.

That's what Mom said too, that if it's tied, it's a comforter. The sewing through the layers is what makes a quilt a quilt. And like I said, I've tied a few too. I'm sorry that people took my statement as a put-down as that wasn't how I meant it. I can't "quilt" a quilt on my little machine, the throat isn't big enough, that's why I have to either send them off or tie them. I don't have the patience to hand quilt them. I remember all the long hours with Grandma and her neighbors sitting around the quilting frame....

mysacrifice 01-14-2010 06:26 AM

Cande, I didn't take offense to that at all. My grandmother tied some, and quilted some, but her tied ones were my favorite!

chartwig 01-14-2010 06:28 AM

I tie all of my quilts too because I can't afford to send them out to be quilted. I think they are wonderful and made with love no matter what what they are finished.

Jingle 01-14-2010 06:39 AM

If I tie them I put extra batting and call them comforters. I made 10 for Christmas one year and did them in a very short time. Only two were quilt looking tops, others were whole cloth with a couple of borders on them. I have made about eight biscuit quilts in quilt pattern and those are tied.

Bevanger 01-14-2010 06:44 AM

meeeeeee :thumbup:

MMBF 01-14-2010 06:54 AM

I have finished my quilts both ways.
I don't care for ones tied on top of the quilt with knots, (only because my boys would make it a mission to lie in bed at night and untie them!)
I prefer to"tie" using a crows foot stitch just like my mother and grandmother taught me. The thread passes between the stitches in between the layers of fabric. It is great, no threads distracting from the pattern of the quilt and a great puffy look of a tied quilt!

Lucy90 01-14-2010 07:05 AM

I usually quilt my quilts but made a scrappy one and it just called to be tied. It reminds me of a granny quilt and my family just loves it. We use it all the time. It just takes a certain type of quilt to be tied.

feline fanatic 01-14-2010 07:17 AM

When I make T-Shirt quilts I use fat bat and tie with 3 strands of embroidery floss. I take an actual stitch and then tie it off with a square knot. There is no way I could hand quilt through all those thick layers of fabric when you consider the weight of the jersy knit most T-shirts are made out of plus the fusible interfacing you need to apply to keep them from stretching out of shape and the backing. My little #11 betweens would bend after just a few stitches. I have a hard enough time getting through all those layers just to do the ties. I tie every 3". I think it looks just fine but I too think of the end result as more of a comforter than a quilt. That doesn't stop me from calling it a quilt though!

I am going to try quilt as you go (QAYG) on my next T-shirt quilt. I will use warm and natural batting and free motion quilt to follow the design imprint of the T. I can't wait to get started on that one. Have most of the blocks already cut and prepped with interfacing. Should be an interesting new technique for me. I have not done QAYG yet

Greendragon6889 01-14-2010 07:43 AM

My very first quilt (which is still on my bed) is going strong..I've tied a few , some i've like,, some i havent.

nativetexan 01-14-2010 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've only tied one, a king size. did it with embroidery thread. well first time, that came apart and i had to go back and tie with yarn.