Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tilting your sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tilting-your-sewing-machine-t152626.html)

happymrs 09-16-2011 07:15 AM

I think, if you are on the short side, you need to tilt your machine forward. But, if you are on the tall side, like some of us, you need to tilt it back. It also depends on your machine. I mainly use a Janome Memorycraft 3000, & I have been noticing while sitting at it, since this discussion came up, I can see the needle just fine, so I guess mine is fine without doing either. I have the clear extension table, so my arms set up a little high, but I like the table, so not much I can do about that. I have just learned, when I start getting tired or achy, it's time to take a break....

quiltersew 09-16-2011 11:41 AM

How would you tip your machine forward if you have one of the plexi extension to the left of your machine?????

MTS 09-16-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltersew
How would you tip your machine forward if you have one of the plexi extension to the left of your machine?????

Tilt the machine AND the extension table (but that might be a little awkward to work on).

happymrs 09-16-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltersew

I think someone mentioned in this discussion, those have adjustable legs on them, so you can adjust them, front or back, to the needed height. Sounds like it would work to me...

tk7401 09-16-2011 01:10 PM

I use 2 of those "pink" rectangle erasers ...works great, perfect tilt and no slide. Cheap cost too.

Annya 09-17-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
Talked to a woman at the quilt expo and she was telling me that tilting the sewing machine toward you helps with back and eye strain. How many of you do this and what do you use? Is this harder on the machine?

I do. It is definitely great on your back with the machine tilted towards you.

pjnesler 09-18-2011 06:07 PM

Wow, I wish I had read this earlier. I spent most of the day completing a quilt - free motion and binding - just took 2 tylenol, I know I'll be paying for it tomorrow too.
I will try this on my next project!

janjj 09-23-2011 06:58 PM

I have a Singer Slant-O-matic 403 special not a portable. Would I put the door stoppers under the back legs of the cabinet? Since it is a slant-o-matic perhaps I don't even need this? never heard of this before.
thanks

MissJMac 09-23-2011 11:50 PM

I bought the rubber doorstops years ago when I first heard about tilting the machine to avoid back and neck problems, but I could never get comfortable - the doorstops ended up in the toybox I keep on hand for visiting grandkids, they find a use for everything. LOL .

drgranny 09-24-2011 02:05 PM

My friends DH made one for all the ladies in our doll club years ago. I couldn't sew without mine.