Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-toe-through-hexagons-cutie-style-cutting-t35685.html)

deranged_damsel 02-02-2010 07:12 AM

Cute
Im so excited! you have givin us great pics to follow along with! DS had a fever last night so I couldnt do anything more, I will see what I can do today :)
Candace

ps thank you Amma for being one step ahead, and the pics! it gives me a better idea of what I need to look for in size. and I have a whole STACK of those plate left over from the holidays, NOW I know what to do with them

fireworkslover 02-02-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
So what do you do then with all the pieces, you need to keep them seperate in their piles of 6, I wouldn't want to be trying to sort pieces if they got mixed up, I like to use a piece of cardboard or something else that is hard to layer them like this to transport them, I have a couple of pieces cut the same size so that if I get to many on one I can move to the next and then I can stack the cardboard. then continue cutting until they are all triangles.

Once your stacked fabrics are cut into triangles, I've found they stay together in their stack pretty well. You can pile them on top of each other, just pivot them around a half turn each time you put one on. Pile up as many as you want, until the stack is a comfortable height and not going to topple over. Using an extra rotary ruler to put them on works too.

fireworkslover 02-02-2010 07:20 AM

So the first thing I do is straighten my edge, I don't like working around the pins so I take them out, it is a personal choice, but if you don't use the flat head one they can get in the way of the ruler laying flat. just make sure that if you take them out that you make sure that your layers don't move on you,

Buying a box of flat head pins is a pretty easy way of making sure your layers don't move. The pins can stay in while cutting and keep everything lined up forever. Flathead pins are also a thinner wire for the pin so very easy to insert into the fabric and not distort the edges.

fireworkslover 02-02-2010 07:26 AM

With the quilt in a day ruler do you need 4 or 6 pieces to make a block?

You are making a hexagon therefore you'll need 6 triangles to make a block.

fireworkslover 02-02-2010 07:30 AM

For all you first timers w/ a OBW: Lining up your print, stacking and cutting the strips might seem confusing, but the fun will begin as soon as you start sewing your triangles together. I'm always surprised when I get my 2 half hexagons sewn and pin them together to see what the whole hex will look like. Lots of times there's loud verbal exclamations coming out of me!

BKinCO 02-02-2010 07:41 AM

Quick question, I have my fabric out and I think I've figured out the repeats. But I want to make sure I understand I have to split the fabric lengthwise? SO pretty much where it was folded in half to be wrapped around the bolt?? It'll essentially be 22 inches wide instead of 44??

cutebuns 02-02-2010 08:05 AM

Yes that is correct. The full width is just way to wide to work with.

k3n 02-02-2010 08:27 AM

Yes that is correct. The full width is just way to wide to work with.

Yup, I used to struggle sliding my mat up and down under the width until Gai told me to split it in half. I reckon you lose one set of triangles per strip but it's worth it for the ease of working. :-D

liwilliams 02-02-2010 08:34 AM

This is a great lesson. Thanks Cutiebuns for doing it and fireworksolver for adding information. I'm pretty sure I understand it all. I don't have any fabric at this time to do this also, but I love following and learning from everyone else's choices of fabrics and postings.

Linda in Calif.

cutebuns 02-02-2010 09:06 AM

You all are doing awesome. Once this part is done and you are all cut the real fun begins. I am amazed at all the different blocks as they appear.