Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tired of the quilt I'm working on (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tired-quilt-im-working-t215372.html)

Ranchwife 03-03-2013 12:00 PM

Tired of the quilt I'm working on

I am at the stage of quilting that I just want to be done. I've got 3 blocks to finish, a small amount of sashing, then the border, binding and I'm done. The quilt is for myself and I'm hand quilting the it. I really love it, but I'm already planning for my next quilt and am excited to start it, but I refuse to until this one is finished. Anyone face this same dilemma while working on projects? Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!

wishfulthinking 03-03-2013 12:09 PM

Yes, yes, yes! I'm almost finished with Easy Street, but just realized I'm short six units to finish the last two blocks. Don't know how that happened, but there'll have to be some more cutting & dragging out the easy angle ruler. Drat! That quilt is just about to do me in! I'm beyond tired of it. Meanwhile, all I can think about is the next several quilts I want to make, plus the ones I feel like I need to make, and then there's the constant inspiration from blogs, magazines and this board! Sometimes I can't get to sleep at night because of it!

Donna 66 03-03-2013 12:12 PM

I'm terribly undisciplined with quilting (and most things), but I always make myself be working on at *least* one old project. I'm usually sewing on at least four projects at the same time. It may sound weird, but I make fewer mistakes that way.

QuiltnNan 03-03-2013 12:17 PM

i want to start my next 3 projects before i finish the one that is partially sewn and the rest is already cut. LOL

justflyingin 03-03-2013 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife (Post 5901472)
I am at the stage of quilting that I just want to be done. I've got 3 blocks to finish, a small amount of sashing, then the border, binding and I'm done. The quilt is for myself and I'm hand quilting the it. I really love it, but I'm already planning for my next quilt and am excited to start it, but I refuse to until this one is finished. Anyone face this same dilemma while working on projects? Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!

That is the quickest way for me to leave the sewing room. I have between 3 and 5 projects on the back burner at once so that this doesn't happen to me. When I get closer to finishing then, I really focus on the one I'm about to finish and work exclusively on it. But, if I'm getting tired of working on a current project, then I stop and work on something else.

Dina 03-03-2013 12:36 PM

I am afraid that I always get tired of a quilt before I get it finished. I am hoping not to feel that way some day!!

Dina

DOTTYMO 03-03-2013 12:57 PM

I have a partially finished baby quilt which I love doing instead of finishing I have made another quilt to give the baby.i have quilts in store ready to finish. Plus a box full of pieces of paper with my next quilt written on.

Traditional Quilter 03-03-2013 01:10 PM

I have the four borders left to hand quilt on the one I've been working on for over two years. I quilt during daylight hours and then English piece a grandmothers garden in the evening. I am so anxious to finish the first quilt because I have dozens of ideas on what I want to do next. Do I finish some UFO's or start the log cabin?, or the wholecloth?, or the strippy?, learn how to machine quilt? ..... so many decisions!!!

Nanny's dollface 03-03-2013 01:40 PM

As a newbie, I didn't think I would have a UFO- thinking that I would "always" complete a quilt before moving onto another project. I laugh at myself! I did put aside one quilt, for a good reason, to work on my nephews rag quilt. As soon as that quilt was completed ( it was a work in frustration- give me piecing anytime), I co pelted my one and only UFO. Sometimes you need to step away then return to a project until its completed . Good luck!

quiltingcandy 03-03-2013 01:54 PM

This always happens to me - and yes it drives me crazy too. Especially when I am in the middle of one and then I feel there is one that needs to be done before I finish the one I am working on, because it is for some special need, like a new baby or special request from my husband. Because once I set one aside it may be years before I get it finished. I do have several planned but only two that are waiting to be finished. (That does not count the one tumbling blocks I am doing by hand so I something to take when I fly somewhere.) This year I am trying very hard not setting any aside. But it is only March and I have finished 2 since the first of January.