Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of the quilt I'm working on

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!

Tired of the quilt I'm working on

I am at the stage of quilting that I just want to be done. I've got 3 blocks to finish, a small amount of sashing, then the border, binding and I'm done. The quilt is for myself and I'm hand quilting the it. I really love it, but I'm already planning for my next quilt and am excited to start it, but I refuse to until this one is finished. Anyone face this same dilemma while working on projects? Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!

Yes, yes, yes! I'm almost finished with Easy Street, but just realized I'm short six units to finish the last two blocks. Don't know how that happened, but there'll have to be some more cutting & dragging out the easy angle ruler. Drat! That quilt is just about to do me in! I'm beyond tired of it. Meanwhile, all I can think about is the next several quilts I want to make, plus the ones I feel like I need to make, and then there's the constant inspiration from blogs, magazines and this board! Sometimes I can't get to sleep at night because of it!
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

I'm terribly undisciplined with quilting (and most things), but I always make myself be working on at *least* one old project. I'm usually sewing on at least four projects at the same time. It may sound weird, but I make fewer mistakes that way.

Blog Entries
    i want to start my next 3 projects before i finish the one that is partially sewn and the rest is already cut. LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
    I am at the stage of quilting that I just want to be done. I've got 3 blocks to finish, a small amount of sashing, then the border, binding and I'm done. The quilt is for myself and I'm hand quilting the it. I really love it, but I'm already planning for my next quilt and am excited to start it, but I refuse to until this one is finished. Anyone face this same dilemma while working on projects? Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!
    That is the quickest way for me to leave the sewing room. I have between 3 and 5 projects on the back burner at once so that this doesn't happen to me. When I get closer to finishing then, I really focus on the one I'm about to finish and work exclusively on it. But, if I'm getting tired of working on a current project, then I stop and work on something else.

I am afraid that I always get tired of a quilt before I get it finished. I am hoping not to feel that way some day!!

Dina

Blog Entries
    I have a partially finished baby quilt which I love doing instead of finishing I have made another quilt to give the baby.i have quilts in store ready to finish. Plus a box full of pieces of paper with my next quilt written on.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have the four borders left to hand quilt on the one I've been working on for over two years. I quilt during daylight hours and then English piece a grandmothers garden in the evening. I am so anxious to finish the first quilt because I have dozens of ideas on what I want to do next. Do I finish some UFO's or start the log cabin?, or the wholecloth?, or the strippy?, learn how to machine quilt? ..... so many decisions!!!

As a newbie, I didn't think I would have a UFO- thinking that I would "always" complete a quilt before moving onto another project. I laugh at myself! I did put aside one quilt, for a good reason, to work on my nephews rag quilt. As soon as that quilt was completed ( it was a work in frustration- give me piecing anytime), I co pelted my one and only UFO. Sometimes you need to step away then return to a project until its completed . Good luck!

This always happens to me - and yes it drives me crazy too. Especially when I am in the middle of one and then I feel there is one that needs to be done before I finish the one I am working on, because it is for some special need, like a new baby or special request from my husband. Because once I set one aside it may be years before I get it finished. I do have several planned but only two that are waiting to be finished. (That does not count the one tumbling blocks I am doing by hand so I something to take when I fly somewhere.) This year I am trying very hard not setting any aside. But it is only March and I have finished 2 since the first of January.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
    Self discipline to finish one project at a time it tough!!
    I have no self discipline which is why I have so many UFOs.

Oh, my yes! I have several quilts in progress. The problem is, there are so many interesting patterns to make and I love to try something new. So it is not just you. I am going to try and work on a quilt for my great-niece this week. Her birthday is in April and it would be so nice to get it finished!

I am always working on several projects. I've got one I'm binding but have to wait on the label, another one ready to put the binding on, one at the longarmers, and I'm setting Easy Street on point this afternoon. I've got several others in various stages but these are the closest to being finished. My goal is to have these four completely done within the next two weeks.

Blog Entries
    I just move on and then work my way back to my old project. Sometimes, I just need to start that new project to get it out of my head. I know, "No self-control," but life is too short.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Could you define self discipline! I can't even stop buying fabric I don't need!LOL

I will finish this quilt first! I will finish this quilt first!! At least before I start a QAYG log cabin double size quilt for my son. I've made a wall hanging and a table runner while I was working on this one, so no more until it is done!!

QM
    I have 8 flimsies right now (from when I could not move my left arm well enough to sandwich anything). Yes, I want to start something new, but I am going to go get work done on one of the 8.

My sewing room is full of partially completed quilts. I finally decided that I would work on FMQ in the morning. In the afternoon, I work on BOMs and piecing quilts. At night, I work on hand appliqué. With this new schedule, I am beginning to finish things. I like the schedule because I am doing a variety of quilting activities during the day. I get tired quickly if I try to work on one project all day long. My new schedule is really working for me.

I think all but one quilt I've made have involved this stage....absolutely loathing doing the last little bit. It would help if I would make something other than K and Q bed quilts but the last baby quilt was the same....just a shorter time in that stage!!

I finish more than most people ever start. I can only think of one quilt that I just gave away because I couldn't stand it anymore. It was blue and made me seasick!
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Are you kidding me. Every quilt in the make I will be petting the next bundle of fabric I want to work with and many times I get bored with the one I am making if it is a bed size and just push it at the end of my sewing table and start a small lap size quilt finish it and quilt it then come back to the big one and I feel fresh start and energy coming out of me to finish it this time. So you are not alone my dear.
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

I am so close to finishing the main body of the quilt - two more blocks and a little more on the sashing. I'll have that finished this week (I can only quilt for a few hours of an evening), the STID on the fussy cut border, then the border. So, two weeks at the most. I'm buying fabric this next weekend for my son's quilt so I'll have to finish mine!!

When I reach that point I quite often get the pieces ready for the next project - this usually gets me seriously motivated to complete the one I am working on

I switch projects when I get 'done' with one of them. I don't quilt in that 'ugh' state. it is work, not fun. =/ though, I am making myself do it to finish my kindergarten star. ugh is so

right! ugh is so right. (dial up stinks!)

Janedee, I love your idea! I may need to steal that! ;0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast