Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight I discovered fat quarters are different than 1/4 yards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-i-discovered-fat-quarters-different-than-1-4-yards-t119039.html)

pnptrapp 04-27-2011 07:34 PM

My husband who is a NON quilter is the one who broke the news to me that even though it isn't cut the same it's still a 1/4 yard of fabric, so I guess I had the opposite problem! I didn't think they were the same "amount" of fabric becuase the dimensions were different!

katesnanna 04-27-2011 07:38 PM

I thought they were started because sometimes you need a single piece that is more square than skinny. Say, for the back of a throw pillow.[/quote]

This sounds more like it.

katesnanna 04-27-2011 07:42 PM

Sorry about multiple posts

katesnanna 04-27-2011 07:47 PM

Sorry about multiple posts

glenda5253 04-27-2011 08:56 PM

I had to look at a FQ all laid out to appreciate the difference from a 1/4 yd. cut.

cabinfever 04-28-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I love Becky's story about the spahetti. ...I spent a lot of time trying to convince her a pound of paper was a pound of paper was a pound of paper, shredding it just increased the volume and dispersed it into more bags.

My husband had a favorite question for my 3 kids when they were young..."Which weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" They all were stumped the first time, but we talked these kinds of things over on long car trips. So, second follow-up question is "Which ton (bricks or feathers) would take up more space?" I am pretty sure they all probably tried this out on their friends as well. This is so funny, it really goes back to the idea that kids should do EVERY "story problem" in the math books; this is where the math has to make common sense in application.

I think I learned about FQ's about 3 years ago...didn't know why they called them FAT, & since I only bought full yards, I figured it didn't really matter to me. Now, I am at the stage where I want to get involved in swaps & some quick quilt patterns calling for FQ's, so it's good to know just the same.

To Happy Treadler: Don't be embarrassed, they didn't teach quilting in school, we're all out here getting it all in bits & pieces. I am a self-taught sewer, didn't have any of it through school; I'm sure there is still PLENTY I don't know. It's a shame too that the schools in our area have almost eliminated sewing, from all but maybe 2 years in high school. I won't count on that being there when my DD gets there in 3 years; with all the budget cuts. I really hope each of you look around to see if there is a young person around you who you might share your sewing knowledge with; I think it's more valuable than ever.

ladyredhawk 04-28-2011 12:57 AM

learn something new every day.

j 04-28-2011 06:38 AM

So many things to learn-- J

vschieve 04-28-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Goldie
I have a great t-shirt that says: A fat quarter is not a body part! :D

LOVE IT!

dcamarote 04-29-2011 11:35 AM

boy, am I glad I am not the only one who used to confuse the fat quarters vs. a quarter yard of material. Took me awhile but I finally got it down. You are not alone in the mistake.