Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight I discovered fat quarters are different than 1/4 yards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-i-discovered-fat-quarters-different-than-1-4-yards-t119039.html)

FQ Stash Queen 04-27-2011 03:22 PM

It's definitely confusing, but think of it as a "fat quarter" of one yard rather than a quarter of a yard. It's a one ard piece with only two cuts instead of three. And, yes, it's quite different to lay out a pattern that way. Kinda like needing extra fabric when you cut on the grain for a dress pattern.

Happy Treadler 04-27-2011 03:44 PM

I think it's a conspiracy between the fabric sellers and the pattern makers to rake in more money.

Favorite Fabrics 04-27-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by pab58

Originally Posted by bearisgray
The length of a fat quarter yard (FQ) should always be at least 18 inches.

Not all fabrics are 45 inches wide - some are as narrow as only 40 inches - so the width of the FQ will only be half of the width of the fabric - so may vary from 20 to 22.5 inches.

Those must be the ones that JoAnns calls "fabric quarters" because they aren't 44" wide. 8-) The "real" fat quarters are the 18"x22" cuts. ;)

There are a LOT of fabrics that are not quite 44" wide. So FQs of those fabrics will be 18" long but not quite 22" wide. It doesn't make them any less "real".

I mean... suppose the fabric is only 42" wide. If a store is going to cut one FQ that is 18" x 22"... what are they supposed to do with the other piece that's only 18" x 20"? In reality, the store has to make the cuts 18" x half of the width of the fabric, period. That's the only way it can work.

Perhaps it is just unwise to assume that you will get 22" width on a FQ. You should be able to count on the 18" dimension, though!

jollyquilting 04-27-2011 06:29 PM

I've noticed recently they ask if you want linear cut or fat quarter. I didn't know the difference before but that helps me think straight.

Patricia Ann 04-27-2011 06:53 PM

What size is the charm sq, jelly roll and the layer cake thanks

katesnanna 04-27-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Ann
What size is the charm sq, jelly roll and the layer cake thanks

Charm Squares are usually 5 inches square

Jellyrolls are 2 1/2 inches by width of fabric. When Moda started them there were 40 strips to a roll. Now days they are different numbers so pays to check.

Layer Cakes are 10 inch squares

Hope this stops some confusion.

Happy Quilting
Jude :D

writerwomen 04-27-2011 07:01 PM

Fat quarters had to have been the brain child of someone who kept cutting the fabric wrong then had to find a way to convince people it was right. Sort of like silly putty- it was originally a flub up but someone with creative insight realized it had potential

katesnanna 04-27-2011 07:04 PM

Sorry about double posting. Having some trouble.

Veronica 04-27-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Becky Mc

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Pulled our a very simple table runner that I may be teaching as a "beginner quilting" project at an upcoming retreat, and it calls for 3 fat quarters. I figured I'd make a sample one to take with me. Choosing ANY colors is always a big deal to me, as I always over-think it. SO I found a beautiful floral print I figured I'd use as my 'focal' point, then chose two other complimentary colors. Two out of three were 1/4 yard cuts, and until now I never realized that fat quarters are cut differently than just cutting off 1/4 yard. Am I the only idiot out here that didn't know this? The pattern's directions for cutting was simple with the fat quarter (of course), but I had to finagle some with the 1/4 yard, only doing so because I didn't want to change my mind again about fabrics. Man do I feel stupid. :shock:

Not about quilting but a cute story for people to get a lol moment, a gal I knew years back went shoping and bought spagetti noodles in bulk got 2 lbs for a real good price when she got home she was so excited she said I got 2 lbs and if I break them in half I will have 4 pounds. This isn't a joke it really happened and her hubby told her she needed to go back to math class. And Never I mean NEVER tell anyone what you just said. But being a man he told us all................. men!

Funny story to go with the spaghetti story.
My friends aunt got married, for her first dinner as a married woman, she made spaghetti. She boiled it for hours, and could not understand why it wasn't turning red.

I didn't know what a fat quarter was either, it takes time to learn all the quilting lingo.
Who knows what will learn tomorrow.

Favorite Fabrics 04-27-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Fat quarters had to have been the brain child of someone who kept cutting the fabric wrong then had to find a way to convince people it was right. Sort of like silly putty- it was originally a flub up but someone with creative insight realized it had potential

I thought they were started because sometimes you need a single piece that is more square than skinny. Say, for the back of a throw pillow.