Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tonight I discovered fat quarters are different than 1/4 yards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tonight-i-discovered-fat-quarters-different-than-1-4-yards-t119039.html)

charlotte625 04-27-2011 09:11 AM

This is the stuff I like about this site. everyone seems so ready to help you and not look at u like your to dumb to help.
I have made some baby quilts and I make purses and doll clothes all the time ...........But I love quilts, and have made up my mine I am going to make one...if it is just a four patch or nine patch.....
all the quilts on here make me so green with jelousy.

JulieR 04-27-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Maybe this drawing will make it clearer?

The length should always be at least 18 inches.

Not all fabrics are 45 inches wide - some are as narrow as only 40 inches - so the width of the FQ will only be half of the width of the fabric - so may vary from 20 to 22.5 inches.

AWESOME! Thanks for taking the time to do the visual!

JulieR 04-27-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by charlotte625
This is the stuff I like about this site. everyone seems so ready to help you and not look at u like your to dumb to help.
I have made some baby quilts and I make purses and doll clothes all the time ...........But I love quilts, and have made up my mine I am going to make one...if it is just a four patch or nine patch.....
all the quilts on here make me so green with jelousy.

I can't wait to see your quilt! :thumbup:

Alondra 04-27-2011 10:23 AM

Hehehe... live and learn. We all have holes in our knowledge store. :) That's why this board is so fantastic. YOU all fill in my blank places.

lbaillie 04-27-2011 11:05 AM

no matter the size or shape, they sure are fun to collect!

Homemother 04-27-2011 11:35 AM

Didn't know 'til I knew. When I heard the terminology the first time, I wondered why they needed such a name. Didn't know 'til I knew! :oops:

watterstide 04-27-2011 12:47 PM

Some patterns show the fat quarter layed out,in a diagram.
and show you how to cut it,

it will not work with a 1/4 yard. one pattern that comes to mind,right away, it the "Turning Twenty" pattern. (calling for twenty fat quarters)

ALL "connecting threads" quilt patterns show the FQ layed out,in a cutting diagram. and they show all the 1/4,1/2 yard cuts too!

those that are seasoned veterans, and know how many pieces they can get out of any cut of fabric..it is good for them. They are way ahead of the game, but it just doesn't work that way for me. lol

in our little quilt group, for the new girls, the "Turning Twenty" pattern was not only a pretty quilt, but an exercise in following instructions, and cutting the FQ's correctly.

it has been a fun thread!

by the way..a story you have already heard before..but my quilter friend..thought that if she had her 1/4" foot on, she would have a 1/4" seam allowance. when in reality, your needle needs to move to the left or right, to get a 1/4" . she was so frustrated when her quilts were not turning out, seams not lining up..i couldn't figure it out either..i just assumed she knew she had to "find" the 1/4" on her machine first..i felt so bad..i had not realized that she just didn't know!
she also assumed she should change the needle,when it broke!
i was so blessed to have taken a beginners quilt class, on the basics at Joanns, first. so i learned how to press, not iron. use a rotary cutter,a ruler,following a pattern..etc.

The only silly question, is the one never asked!

And for Your information:

From one fat quarter of fabric, which measures approximately (18” x 22”)

99…..2” squares
56…..2 ½” squares
42…..3” squares
30…..3 ½” squares
20…..4” squares
16…..4 ½” squares
12…..5”squares
9…..6” squares
6…..6 ½” squares
4……7” squares
4……8” squares
4……9” squares

maryb44662 04-27-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Maybe this drawing will make it clearer?

The length of a fat quarter yard (FQ) should always be at least 18 inches.

Not all fabrics are 45 inches wide - some are as narrow as only 40 inches - so the width of the FQ will only be half of the width of the fabric - so may vary from 20 to 22.5 inches.

A "regular" or "skinny" quarter (1/4) yard should always be at least 9 inches long - and the width of the fabric.

And if you have fabric that is only 36" wide (remember when, lol) the fat qtr. is still 18X22, right??? Just curious! Mary

teacherbailey 04-27-2011 01:25 PM

LOL....in the olden days before fat quarters life was easier. You didn't buy a fabric as a FQ only to discover later that you REALLY need 24" of it....now you have to decide which you want and hope you guess correctly for an upcoming project that you haven't even thought about yet!!!!

pab58 04-27-2011 01:28 PM

Just think of it as adding one more bit of very important and useful knowledge in your noggin! :D BTW: You NOT an idiot!!! :wink: At least you discovered it before you did the class!!! :shock: