Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-hot-quilt-am-i-only-one-t280794.html)

Sailorwoman 07-28-2016 03:28 AM

We are getting temperatures in the mid-90s and with humidity it is closer to 100+ in the south-eastern part of Ontario. I try to get some quilting done early in the morning but my latest mantra has become "don't drip on the quilt".

salemrabbits 07-28-2016 03:32 AM

no AC here, I just forget the heat, turn off the overhead lights and sew. Was working on getting a batting ready to send with my latest flimsy- that was a bit of a challenge with heat. When I get tired because of being warm, I just go take a nap!

ManiacQuilter2 07-28-2016 04:07 AM

I get up early in the morning to get a little quilting done! RedGarnett is so correct. Winter for me can't come soon enough for me. I don't even know where all the fires are burning in CA.

coopah 07-28-2016 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7612580)
Window AC is very Energy Star friendly....buy them. It is better for your health and wellbeing to be comfortable. The Energy Star rating label will tell you what the annual cost is to run the unit.

Sandy

Good point, Sandy. We had one that rolled from room to room when we lived in the PNW. It was wonderful!!

farmquilter 07-28-2016 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 7612793)
I hope you get your AC. At this stage of my life I have no intention to 'bear with' any discomfort in my home.

AMEN, to that.

maviskw 07-28-2016 04:34 AM

[QUOTE=Jane Quilter;7612831] So I got out the window quilts. In the winter, they keep out the cold....and in this heat, it keeps out the sun and the heat. [Quote]

Something on the windows is a huge help. I have solar curtains. They are a panel of what looks like aluminum foil, but is plastic. A little light comes through them and you can see through them just a little. But what a difference they make on the east side of the house in the morning! I have them on some door windows that face the sun, too.

My basement is a creepy crawly one, too. But we have geothermal heat. It costs quite a bit to install, but then is much much cheaper to run. And A.C. comes with it automatically. We keep it at 70º for heat and 76º for cooling and are very comfortable.

This house is very well insulated and we have trees on the south east and south west corners, so that helps a lot, too.

Onebyone 07-28-2016 04:44 AM

It's your choice to keep your house cool or not. When its becomes not your choice is when there is a problem.

Edie 07-28-2016 04:44 AM

I sat out on the deck the other night binding a humongous quilt for this winter (combination quilt/bedspread) and it was 97 degrees here and this was later afternoon. I poured me a glass of icy cold Chardonnay from Trader Joe's, dog at my feet, needle in hand and draped from chest to toe in the quilt. Finished the quilt on July 25 and it was wonderful. Now I am starting on cutting out squares for 15 different blocks for a coverlet. Will start that this afternoon - on the deck - with my collapsible table and my tools and, of course, my glass of Chardonnay - just one!!!

I love working outside - only if it isn't windy - I have been known to run into the neighbors yards and pick up a 1/2 square triangle, a 1-1/2" strip. Don't cut out a Log Cabin on a windy day outside! Forewarned is forearmed, you know. Then, of course, I'll never learn. Enjoy the warmth. There is a special place in Heaven for the guy that invented the air conditioner, I am sure. Enjoy the day! Edie

Jcarpentier 07-28-2016 04:50 AM

I am in southern/central Maine and I cannot quilt in the summer months at all. Where I sew is not air conditioned. I tend to sew in the cooler months as there are more of them than summer here. I thought I was in the minority!

mhollifiel 07-28-2016 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 7612793)
I hope you get your AC. At this stage of my life I have no intention to 'bear with' any discomfort in my home.

Amen, Sister! Testify!!