Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-hot-quilt-am-i-only-one-t280794.html)

Becky's Crafts 07-29-2016 05:09 AM

I'm in Florida and we too have to have A/C. I quilt almost every day, but in the summer I sew in the A/C. Winter time when the house is all opened up, I quilt on the deck.

Yooper32 07-29-2016 05:44 AM

"It isn't the heat, it's the humidity"..famous old saying, but I say it is both that takes you from starched to a piece of lettuce sitting out to long. Humidity even makes breathing a chore.

purplefiend 07-29-2016 06:22 AM

I live near Austin,Texas. This time of year the 5 window a/c units run 24/7, just too hot not to. It helps if I have a fan running when I'm sewing. I sew my quilts all by machine.
Sharon in Texas

sval 07-29-2016 06:32 AM

Would you be expected to do without heat in the winter? What's the difference?

Onebyone 07-29-2016 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 7614002)
Would you be expected to do without heat in the winter? What's the difference?

Very logical observation.

117becca 07-29-2016 07:34 AM

I am grateful for my AC, so no problems w/ quilting when i want. While it is a July, it's been worse. Thankfully, electric isn't horrid.

FYI - for those who think AC units are too expensive..I used to live in a house w/out air and this one particular summer was beyond miserable - the nites weren't cool enough and no break in sight.

I had fans all over the house and they ran all the time. I had 4 kids at home at the time and we were all grumpy and ready to hurt everyone else.

I finally did buy 3 window units for the house - 2 for upstairs and 1 large one for the main floor. My electric bill dropped $50 in one month running the AC.

Mariah 07-29-2016 07:51 AM

Same here in Kansas. 100 degrees, with H.I. of 107-112. I have tried quilting, but first, I am too tired from all of the running and keeping the house going.
I have found it is a good time to cut blocks for future projects, machine quilting doll quilts for the Sal. Army projects for the little girls to have a doll quilt to wrap around the doll the Sal. Army gives the 3-6 yr olds.
That is but all I get done in the heat
Mariah

Terrytunes 07-29-2016 09:08 AM

QuiltingCandy,
Your daughter needs to get a NEST thermostat. It's programmable through your smartphone. We don't run our AC when nobody is home, but when we start home, we check the thermostat on our phones and turn it on so that it's cool when we get home. Or if it's SO HOT that we know the dog is needing some relief.

I do think it's too hot to quilt (over 100 for the last 4 days), but I'm trying to get my Row By Row quilt out the door to my long-arm lady, so I've been suffering through!! LOL
T Tunes

Jingle 07-29-2016 07:58 PM

When I was growing up I remember stores having a sign saying it was cool inside. I never knew of anyone having any kind of A/C in their homes. Lived in Central Illinois, hot and humid. Absolutely miserable, took lots of cold water baths. I would not live without A/C. I have a window unit in my sewing room. I cannot wait for cooler weather.

Tom W 07-29-2016 08:25 PM

I'm a bit east of Reno, NV and we've been in the 105-109 range all week. Too hot to do much of anything after about 10 am.