Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too many hobbies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-hobbies-t194307.html)

BellaBoo 07-11-2012 11:11 AM

Before quilting it was cross stitch, before cross stitch it was thread crochet. I also have a knitting machine but that is not a hobby, it's more of making fast scarves and hats. I can turn out dozens a day. I learned to tat but didn't do much with it and don't know if I remember how. I recently was in a needlework shop and the crossstitch bug bit. I'm glad I saved all my supplies. I like the cross stitch samplers on linen but my eye don't!

QuicklyQuilting 07-11-2012 11:16 AM

So many crafts interest me, it's hard for me to focus and actually get anything done. I find that I become overwhelmed by all of the projects that I want to start and I just freeze up. I have decided to limit my focus to "needlework". I found homes for my paint and silk flowers, I gave them to my crafty friends. My DDIL has expressed interest in jewelery making, so I will give that stuff to her(when I can find it). The beads I can keep for embellishments, right? When a not- sewing project comes up that I can't resist I buy only what I need, and give the left overs to my friends, or trade an item that I make for the item that they make in their specialty. My space and time are too limited to enjoy all of the crafts that interest me. I am organizing my needlework now and am finding way too many UFOs. Scrap booking is sooo tempting, but I just CAN'T do another craft. I have a feeling that, when I retire, I might get myself into alot of trouble if I'm not careful.

AFQSinc 07-11-2012 11:21 AM

I began with jewlery making, then went to knitting, then spinning and finally quilting. In between I did a little bag making. I would like to try scrapbooking but I think I am going to skip the scrapbooking and try smashbooking which is a type of scrapbooking but more with objects. I love the look of the cross stitch on linen and I would love to learn that but I think I might venture into rug hooking next. I just love working with wool.

I think having varied hobbies is a good idea because they all work different parts of the brain and hands. I had some repetitive stress injuries (work related) so I find to protect myself I like to do different things.

Tartan 07-11-2012 11:22 AM

Not if you enjoy them all. I have a lot of different hobbies too and I like to have a couple of projects in each medium so I can switch around. Quilting is my primary love but right now I have Red Work embroidery blocks waiting, a crochet baby blanket, some much needed mending and I like to garden.

TanyaL 07-11-2012 12:01 PM

When I was younger and wanted to learn new things I took classes at the university and learned photography,figure drawing, painting, sculpture, bronze casting and ceramics and short story writing. With the higher cost of tuition now days how in the world does a person learn a new hobby? I taught myself crochet, quilting and garment sewing, but I'm better at the things I learned at the university.

JudyTheSewer 07-11-2012 12:05 PM

I enjoy many of the fiber arts and have lots of supplies and tools and enjoy them all! I started out garment sewing and still enjoy that. I then did hand embroidery and still enjoy that. Then I did bead work, tatting, crocheting, and started quilting when my youngest left the nest. I enjoy the variety that these different activities bring and the fact that some are great to do while watching tv with hubby and some are great to bring along to fill waiting times at doctors, airports, etc.. My thought is that the more interests we have the better.

germanquilter 07-11-2012 12:29 PM

I am with all of you. I love to knit, scrapbook, bead, garden and quilt. I am learning to do redwork and applique from a friend and have started to work with wool felt :) Quilting is my primary passion but I love all the above. I am excited that my oldest daughter has shown interest in crafts herself and at 19 she has started to make costumes and clothes..now if I can just get the 14 year old interested, we can go in business LOL

Sewnoma 07-11-2012 12:30 PM

No, you're not alone AT ALL!! I tell people I have "Crafter's ADD" - I'm constantly being drawn to new things and also cycling back to old favorites. I pick something and become obsessed with it for 2-3 years, then move onto something new or back to something I've been missing. Right now quilts are my thing, prior to this it was sculpting with Fimo, prior to that was beading, prior to that was bookbinding, prior to that was painting murals and faux finishes on everything, prior to that was soapmaking, prior to that was candlemaking.....on and on and on!!

And I keep almost everything, so when something bites me again I can pick it back up. My garage is about 20% tools, 10% sentimental stuff I save for no good reason, and 70% crafting "treasures" packed away until something re-obsesses me or if I have a practical need for something. Lately my husband has been asking me to dig out my soapmaking stuff again - we've finally worn almost all the way through the 200 bar stash I made before packing it all away last time, LOL. Too bad for him I'm deep in the throes of a quilting obsession and can't be fussed to spend that much time away from my fabric! We might have to (gasp) BUY some soap! (From a local soapmaker, of course!)

Tashana 07-11-2012 12:45 PM

There is no such a thing as too many hobbies. Here I go: pottery, quilting and sewing, crocheting, knitting, embroidery and silk ribbon embroidery (goes great with crazy quilting), gardening, stained glass (gave it up temporarily because my kids are too young to have that much led in the house). I love my hobbies, they are better than therapy of any kind and come Christmas time I rarely have to go shopping for gifts :) .

SouthPStitches 07-11-2012 12:47 PM

Quilting 80% of the time, but also knit socks, garden, cook, bake, motorcycle, read. Want to try my hand at painting, maybe in the fall.