Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turn-master-bedroom-into-sewing-room-t176222.html)

mtnative 01-19-2012 05:53 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat ~

amandasgramma 01-19-2012 05:55 PM

Hey, Pam -- that's one of the perks about being single --- you can do WHATEVER you want!!! Quite frankly, I considered it here but DH put a stop to it ----- party poop!!!

kacy 49 01-19-2012 05:58 PM

I say go for it. Usually the onlly differences in bedrooms is one is larger and may have a bathroom. Use your rooms so that they work best for you. You will be spending alot more time in there as a sewing room than you do for sleeping. Have fun.

DogHouseMom 01-19-2012 05:59 PM

Do it!!

We converted out front room into an office. We both need an office, and we were using the other spare bedroom (10 x 10), but we outgrew it. Hubby suggested using the front room (it was empty! We use the family room for TV and visitors), and well ... why not?

Sure it's a little strange for visitors to walk into the house and the first room they see is the office ... but it's our house and it's the way things "fit".

redquilter 01-19-2012 06:12 PM

It's your house, your room. Do what you want and feel would work best for you. I think it's a fine idea.

CoyoteQuilts 01-19-2012 06:18 PM

We just moved into a new home (new to us anyways). It has 4 (1 master, 3 smaller) bedrooms, family room, eat in kitchen, and 'formal' living room with 2 baths, 2 car garage and laundry room. Guess where my sewing room is? Yep, you've got it, in the master! Everything fits in there.... and I mean everything, fabric, machines (including a 10 foot mid arm quilter), TV and my storage drawers. I have 3 different design walls, one goes from floor to ceiling behind my midarm with one over my embroidery machine table and one behind the ironing board.... I need to get some pictures up so I can post them. DH picked out 'our' bedroom, another is a his weight room and then we have 1 left over for guests if we ever can find a queen sized bed to put in there. We doubled our space from the last house we were in so it is great for us! We were looking for either a large enough master bedroom or a family room I could take over and this was the answer... Good luck on your decision and happy exploring your stash while re-arranging.

#1piecemaker 01-19-2012 06:27 PM

Where do you spend most of your time? In the bedroom or in the sewing room? I think if it were me, I'd put it in the room that is the biggest!

jcrow 01-19-2012 06:40 PM

My DH and I have 3 bedrooms. One is his computer/hunting/fishing/going to work (railroader with overnight grip and lots of boots) room. The other one is my sewing room. It's way too small now that I've collected so much fabric. I have fabric stacked on rubbermaid tubs and under my two long tables that I use as a cutting board and put my gadgets and everything else on them. My masterbedroom has a huge bathroom. My husband works on call and sleeps all different hours so I sleep on the couch quite a bit so not to wake him. I wish I could talk him into moving into my sewing room and letting me having the master bedroom. It has two closets and is huge. I have been thinking about this for a long time. We don't have guests come over...it's just us. When the kids come home, we put them up in a nice hotel. I don't know how to approach him with the idea of swapping rooms. He only sleeps and dresses in there. He could have the main bathroom (that's mine now). I think he will think I am out of my mind. He thinks I'm obsessed with quilting as it is, but to ask him to move out of the big bedroom might make him make me go to a psychiatrist. I know I'm not nuts because you all think it's a good idea, but how do I broach the subject? I can't move all the furniture myself. If I could, I'd do it while he was away for 2 days at work. How do I make him realize that it's a good idea (for him too)?

scrappy2 01-19-2012 06:41 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me. Hope to see some pictures of your new sewing room when you get it change over.

suebee 01-19-2012 06:46 PM

Heck yeah, go for it! Im going to knock a wall down in between 2 bedrooms in order to fit a longarm. Its just Hubby and I. We dont really have guests stay overnight, but we will be able to fit a bed in there as well. The only thing that concerned me for a very short period of time, was "what will it do to the value of our house" going from 3 bdrm to a 2. But I got over that pretty quick, when I realize we plan on staying in this house forever (whatever that is). if ever we wanted needed to sell, could always just put the wall back up. Im keeping both closets. Have fun, keep us posted.