Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

I've been thinking about this for awhile, making the master bedroom my sewing room. I live alone in a 5-bedroom house. Three of them are very small, like 10'x10', and I use one of those for my sewing room and one for an office. The third is a guest room with just a bed and dresser. The 4th bedroom is a little larger and is where the longarm is. It barely fits in there, have to angle it out from the corner to be able to squeeze around one end of it to get to the back. My master bedroom is 15'x16' and it's the largest room in the house practically. I thought about using the living room (it's not used other than to walk from the front door to the family room) but with the cat I wouldn't be able to keep her off of everything. To tell the truth I usually just sleep on the couch in the family room anyway.

I've even thought of having the two walls between the 3 smaller rooms taken out and put in one wall to make two bigger rooms but don't think I want to put that money into this house. Would it be ridiculous to use the master bedroom for the long arm and sewing tables? I could still keep the fabric organized in the other room and make the 4th one my bedroom.

I know that no one else really has any say in it and I can do whatever I want, it's my house. It just feels a little weird to do that.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Hey it is your house do what you want. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are suggesting. Happy Quilting.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Use the rooms for your best advantage. I would think that you are only talking about essentially rearranging the furniture. Women have been doing that since the garden of Eden.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM

I say if that's the best use of your space then do it. It's the master bedroom and your the master
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds good to me! I took out my kitchen table to set-up my longarm there. I eat on trays in my livingroom. It's all about what works for you and how you want it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 PM

I am giving serious thought to doing the same thing. The master bedroom is just about the same size, 15 by 17 feet, with two big closets and lots of shelves. I don't have a longarm, but if I ever do, it will have to be in this room. Good luck with your plans if you decide to do it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

I would do it. Sounds like a good plan. You will get over the odd feeling pretty quick when you are enjoying the room and ease in quilting with more space. Good Luck. I am excited for you. If you don't like it, you can always go back the way it was. But I bet ya don't.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
I say if that's the best use of your space then do it. It's the master bedroom and your the master
Great response!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Do what makes you enjoy your house and your hobby! I am sure the master bedroom will be a wonderful quilt room!!!Enjoy the space.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by shnnn View Post
I agree with shnnn. You won't be inconveniencing anyone & if it would work for you--go for it!