Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Why not? It would make a nice big sewing room and you can use 1 of the other bedroom to sleep in. You are the "master" of the house so wherever you sleep will be the "master bedroom".
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Do what will work best for you! It's your home, plenty of rooms, so use them to the best advantage for YOU!!!!!

Kat
Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM

That's the way to go. I've been thinking about it also, but I can't talk my husband into one of the smaller bedrooms ;-)
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Seeing all the responses I don't feel so strange!! I really need the space of the larger room, I don't like the cramped working areas and there's a walk-in closet that I could put some shelving units in for storage. I'm going to do it!! I'll measure tonight about where the sewing and cutting table can go and I can finally make the large pressing surface that I got some canvas for.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I live alone but have the DGKs over a lot. They sleep in the guest room and have a playroom in a bedroom. My master is huge! The entire room is devoted to sewing and crafts, but my bed and storage headboard are in there. [the dressing and bath are separate]. I have a quilt frame in there but is only 9.5'... I have quilted a king on that. It is very tight, but the mess is not visible to most. You have to arrange your house they way that it works for you. I'd hate to see you move walls as that changes your resale value with one less bedroom.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Go for it. It sounds good to me. I did something similar myself.
Best thing I ever did. No regrets.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Go for it. Knew a quilter that did that exact thing and loved it. She lived alone and felt the master was just wasted space. She has since passed but her daughter still has her house and uses it for a quilting studio with the long arm and has her mom's sewing friends still come over to have sewing time.

mltquilt
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

We have a huge Master bedroom - I WOULD make it into a sewing studio in a heartbeat if I could...
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM

You make me laugh! I was just talking to my husband the other day about taking over the master bedroom for my sewing and us using one of the smaller ones because all we do is sleep in it anyway. He was all for the idea until I told him he would also have to give up the closet. He's a real clothes horse and it would just kill him to cut back!!

I say go for it!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM

We have a weird plan amongst us girls. We want to be Golden Girls........You know all of us living in one house......we all quilt, have stashes and sewing machines........It came to me the other day that the Master bedroom would be the best place for all that. We would just sleep in the bedrooms any way. I still have my DH and don't want to hurry him off. He is a pretty neat guy and I still like him----even with almost 2 yrs of retirement behind us. I do think a long hot bath in the "new sewing room bath" because of the big jetted tub would be a good thing to keep. We still have some time to work the kinks out since my DH is still kicking.