Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Do what works for you. I think the master bedroom change would probably be easier and less invasive to the rest of the house. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:24 PM

I totally get it, you feel weird using a room that is a bedroom for something other than a bedroom. I've often thought if the option were available to me, that room in my house would also be the best place for my sewing room because it really is a big room. If you are comfortable sleeping in another room in the house, I doze off regularly in the family room myself, then move your stuff into the master bedroom. Once you do it, you'll probably wonder why you waited so long to do it.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM

It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM

It makes sense to me. It is a better option than making the living room a sewing room even if you didn't have a cat. Your sewing room in the master bedroom keeps the projects and activity private and out of the way of guests.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM

i say go for it!!! especially if you aren't using it much anyways. i am totally planning on making mine into a sewing room as soon as my boys are big enough to move downstairs!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Not Wierd at all, My DMIL did exactly that when she moved into her condo. Set up the masterbed room as her sewing room and took the walk in closet for her fabric. She lived alone at the time and only had the grandkids or us to visit occassionally, she had a hideaway bed and a daybed in the sewing room. Worked for her and I bet it will work for you.

Enjoy your house.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 PM

All you are doing in the bedroom is sleep. You don't need a big space for that. I say go for it!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM

That's where my long-arm is!! My regular sewing stuff is scattered in two other bedrooms. I really want one BIG room for all of it, but will probably never get it. Some would say that I have way too much sewing stuff....nah!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

I think it's a great idea! You'll be able to move around the LA with more ease! If it's more comfortable than do it!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM

my master bedroom faces a lovely round valley (charmingly called Round Valley) overlooking the old John Wayne Ranch in Arizona... it is 20 x 30, has a walk in closet and its own bathroom. I have dozens of trees and a creek that serves as the boundary for my property that i can see from the huge picture window. There is a door that leads out to my deck in the back yard and a roof over most of the deck with comfy furniture about 10 steps from my sewing machine table.... it took me a couple of days as I was moving in to realize that this room is PRIME real estate and I was not about to waste it as a space in which I slept. I moved into the smallest bedroom which I thought would be temporary while i thought I would re-do the medium sized bedroom before I moved into that one. The Master Sewing Room has worked so well that I am now contemplating bringing the longarm upstairs (from my barn) into the medium bedroom. I sooooo wish I had 2 more bedrooms, like you do....!!!!!!!!! (PS...sometimes this works backwards.... I have friends that moved their bedroom furniture into the formal living room as they decided that they realllllly wanted a fireplace in their bedroom.... family room serves as their living room.... different strokes...)

Last edited by deemail; 01-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.