Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM

I have done it and loved it. I moved my 'studio' back into the other bedroom when I had my LA table lengthened as that is the only room other than the garage that would actually work.

Down here the garage would be too hot in summer and dusty all year round, so that option wouldn't work for me. I prefer having my car in my garage.

Combining two room into one would also work well.

For me, I want to be able to see/listen to TV/movies when I sew. so having my sewing cabinet facing my living room is a must. Also, I don't sew well when I face a wall or window.

ali
Old 01-19-2012, 06:52 PM

I would do what makes you feel comfortable and happy. It's your house and since you have all the rooms to do what you what to do with them work where it makes you the happiest. When you try it if you don't like it you can always move it back you won't have knocked down any walls and can keep the house the way it is for resale someday. Enjoy your home as you like. Sue
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

You have a good idea, and thanks for this post, because I think it helped us all to see that our home is our home, and to be used as it needs to be to be our relaxing home.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 PM

It's yours do what you want to, that's one of the best things about having one! If I wanted to I would. We have everything strung between 2 rooms, would be nice to have it all together. Have fun and enjoy what YOU want to do!...
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Go for it!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM

use the rooms how you want.If you sew a lot make that a priority in picking the use for your rooms.you are the queen in your castle-do want you want.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM

DH and I have a house rule: If we don't use something in a 12 month period, then it's gone and not worth keeping. While Spring Cleaning this past Spring, we were going through everything in the dining room when it occurred to us both that we only ever use the dining room when I need to pin a quilt since we bought our kitchen table. My sewing room was too small for me to do any pinning in there or even quilting for that matter. Soooo, that led to us nixing the dining room and turning it into a sewing room. At the time that we made that decision, our oldest DD came to us and asked if she could have her own room so it all worked out in the end. She's happily settled in the old sewing room and I'm happy with more elbow room...which I definitely do need since both of my DD's sew alongside of me with their own machines.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam View Post
Seeing all the responses I don't feel so strange!! I really need the space of the larger room, I don't like the cramped working areas and there's a walk-in closet that I could put some shelving units in for storage. I'm going to do it!! I'll measure tonight about where the sewing and cutting table can go and I can finally make the large pressing surface that I got some canvas for.
two things... buy that nice heavyweight shelving (for garages) that just has uprights that get screwed onto the wall...then the shelves are adjustable with really heavy brackets... it will not only hold all the weight you need to store things on... but if you had to revert to a master bedroom, it would not be more than a few minutes to do... secondly, you mentioned a larger pressing surface... i saw this online recently and thought it was such a good idea that i made one the next day... the large board (like the ones that fit on your ironing board).... was just put on top of a small 3 drawer dresser (I had a 2 door cabinet) and then there is plenty of support under the pressing area and storage instead of legs under it. my ironing board is folded up into my closet, just in case i need it, but so far, have not. just wanted you to share what i considered to be a better pressing area than the 'board on ironing board' choice.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM

I think that is a great idea. Do it and enjoy your space. You can always change it back if you don't like it.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Sounds perfect to me. Go for it.