Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM

If I were living by myself, I'd be doing the same thing. My master bedroom has plenty of space for my longarm (which is crammed into a small bedroom) and there's a lot of wasted space right now. I'd be just as happy sleeping in one of the smaller bedrooms. I, too, thought about connecting two of the bedrooms, but there's the re-sale problem down the road. Your plan makes all the sense in the world to me.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Why not??? If it wern't for DH I would have done that a long time ago!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM

No definitely not - go for it. makes more sense to have the bigger room used for something other than just sleeping.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM

if it was me I would use it
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

If I lived alone I would make lots of changes, Husband of 50 yrs. is still there, so I can't.
I say turn the master into your sewing room and all will be out of sight and away from the cat.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM

If that is weird then the Someday Quilts mystery novel by Claire O'Donohue is also weird. In her series about the Someday Quilt shop, the owner Eleanor has an old Victorian house. The sewing room in Eleanor's house is actually the master bedroom because it is the largest. Makes sense to me, but I'm a quilter and realize that space for the stash and machines needs to be huge!!!
Since you have the say so and you are not inconveienced in anyway, but actually would benefit from the change, I say go for it! Get help to move the the long arm-- do you have cute, muscular young man nearby that could help?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm always teasing my DH about making our bedroom my sewing room but he just ignores me. LOL

But I see no reason why you can't (or shouldn't) do that -- in your own house. We don't use our living room anymore either and I tease DH that if I could afford an long-arm, it would go in there. But I would probably put it in my family room and move the sofa back into the living room.

Enjoy all your space to enlarge your sewing space. I've taken over 2 bedrooms (so far).
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Use the master! Its' your house, my hubby uses our family room for his N scalel trains! I use a large bedroom for my sewing! We don't care what others think, only our kids come over any way!!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Default GREAT IDEA, go for it. It is good use of an otherwise unused room.

I have a friend who turned her living room into her quilting studio and was delighted with all the room. If I had the extra room I would do the same......

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam View Post
I've been thinking about this for awhile, making the master bedroom my sewing room. I live alone in a 5-bedroom house. Three of them are very small, like 10'x10', and I use one of those for my sewing room and one for an office. The third is a guest room with just a bed and dresser. The 4th bedroom is a little larger and is where the longarm is. It barely fits in there, have to angle it out from the corner to be able to squeeze around one end of it to get to the back. My master bedroom is 15'x16' and it's the largest room in the house practically. I thought about using the living room (it's not used other than to walk from the front door to the family room) but with the cat I wouldn't be able to keep her off of everything. To tell the truth I usually just sleep on the couch in the family room anyway.

I've even thought of having the two walls between the 3 smaller rooms taken out and put in one wall to make two bigger rooms but don't think I want to put that money into this house. Would it be ridiculous to use the master bedroom for the long arm and sewing tables? I could still keep the fabric organized in the other room and make the 4th one my bedroom.

I know that no one else really has any say in it and I can do whatever I want, it's my house. It just feels a little weird to do that.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM

I think using the master bedroom for a sewing room is a great idea. If you are like me, you spend more time quilting than you do sleeping. LOL. Why waste all that space for sleeping when you can put it to much better use? Go for it!