Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room? >

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Turn Master Bedroom into sewing room?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

It is your house and you can do ANYTHING you want with it. I would do whatever makes you the most comfortable and gives you the most enjoyment and practical use out of the space you have. If I were in your position I wouldn't hesitate for a nano second about making the master bedroom a sewing room...in fact, I'd have to ask you what's taking so long! Go for it. From what you've said I doubt that you would regret it for a minute. It sounds like it would do nothing but enrich your life and what's more important than that? Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 AM

I think it makes the most sense for you to use the rooms in such a way that suits your lifestyle. A master bedroom is only a master bedroom because that is what we call it. If you want it to be a sewing room, then go for it. Particularly if you don't mind a smaller bedroom for yourself. I don't think it is weird at all and I imagine that once you do it, you will adjust faster than you think and be glad you did!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 AM

you are so fortunate to have so much room. i have a huge master bedroom with two walkin closets and attached master bathroom...recently i needed a little more room and some breathing/thinking space when i am sewing. i took one third of the room for my bed, nightstand and two large dressers plus access to two windows. the other 2/3 of the room i divided in half...one side has my computer desk, file cabinet and everything i need for business. the other half i placed my banquet table which holds my sewing machine, my serger, and underneath three see-thru cabinets that hold my fabric and tools and sewing notions.. one walk in closet holds all my clothes shoes purses etc...and the other stores my folding quilt frames, batting, ironing board etc.. in the middle of the computer side and the sewing side i have plenty of walking space and is where i also have my antique rocker in case i just need some rocking and thinking time. i tested this floor plan out last week and it worked magnificently for me. seems to me that moving your sewing room to the largest room would save you having to move from room to room just to complete a project and when you are finished you can just close the door on it all.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM

If I were single, I would do it in a heartbeat. Enjoy your new sewing room!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 AM

I think it is a wonderful idea. If you don'twant to sleep on the couch some night, use the guest room! Use your house like you want to! It is your house and your decision. DO IT!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM

It makes total sense to me to make the change. Besides if you are only moving furniture, if you don't like it, you can always move it back. It may not make sense to tear down walls anyway. You may find one is a weight bearing wall, so you would have to put up beams.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM

I have a three bedroom house and just this past week turned the master bedroom into my quilting studio. I got a HQ16 ProStitcher and that's the only room besides the living room it will fit in. So, the decision was easy...moved myself into a smaller bedroom and it's so cozy and peaceful. The master bedroom is now my quilt studio and I'm lovin life! Best thing I've done in a long while. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM

My longarm is in my master bedroom - it was the only place big enough to put it - I have a separate sewing room but for now the longarm is in my bedroom. So why not - if it works for you - do it.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Sounds like a wonderful idea! I would do it if it were me!!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Just change the name of the room from master bedroom to sewing room. Instant conversion.