Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning Twenty quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-twenty-quilt-t178079.html)

burchquilts 06-06-2012 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by MasonsDad (Post 5267861)
I used the turning twenty pattern and made a baby quilt with it by cutting all the blocks in half. It came outreal cute and was quick and easy. Being I am a beginner and needed a baby quilt in a hurry, it was perfect.

I made it as a baby quilt, too, but for the large portion of the block, I used embroidered blocks. Not to brag, but it turned out really cute. I wish I could find my pictures of it. It really is a good place to use big prints or panels or whatever.

Cris 06-06-2012 03:25 AM

I made a turning twenty quilt but used half the size measurements.

deedum 06-06-2012 03:49 AM

I really like the turning twenty quilt pattern. I have made several, go together quickly and nice when done. I am finishing a warm wishes quilt and then will start on a scrappy turning twenty for my BIL who is sick. I think the key to the ttp is to choose the material carefully, makes it more interesting.

GrannieAnnie 06-06-2012 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ (Post 4943186)
To get around the busy look of the Turning 20 quilt, I used some of the same fabric multiple times instead of using 20 different fat quarters. Using the same fabric added some continuity to the quilt, and I really like how the quilt turned out.

I've made several personal sized quilts that use only 3 colors, always set in the same pattern. I'm quite pleased with them (made for pre-cut pieces that I inherited.)

Mchelem 02-11-2013 11:09 PM

I made a turning twenty with 20 different breast cancer fabrics. I like the bigness of the blocks, personally.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...52F282B669.jpg

2nd one, quilted and finished

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...600C1B6098.jpg

LavenderBlue 02-12-2013 02:24 AM

Mchelem - just beautiful!

mic-pa 02-12-2013 03:30 AM

When I finished the Turning Twenty I did not care for it either so before I put the border on I added piping in black all the way around the edge and it really made a difference and the colors just "poped" Then I put the border on.

GrannieAnnie 02-12-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by scrapnut (Post 4940412)
I love how quickly the Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty Again quilt top goes together, BUT...... I really dislike how large the pieces are. The blocks seem so BIG and BUSY.. I am thinking of cutting the pieces half the size rather than cutting it full size. I will have to make twice as many blocks but, I just think it will reduce the Business of this quilt. What do you think?

I like the big blocks, but you might reduce the pieces by app. a third and have somewhat smaller blocks. Determine a Finished main piece size you're happy with------say 5" (cut 5.5 square), cut the smaller side piece (5.5 x 3 seam allowance for a Finished piece that is 5 x 2.5. Then cut your long piece at 8 x 3 for a Finished piece that is 7.5 x 2.5. Your whole block would be 7.5 square finished.

For a Finished 4' main piece---Finished block of 6 x 6 cut as follows

4.5 x 4.5 (finishes at 4')
4.5 x 2.5 (finishes at 4 x 2)
6.5 x 2.5 (finishes at 6 x 6)

I inhertited a bunch of blocks all perfectly cut at 5.75-----------I have no idea where they came from. But I adjusted my two side pieces (of other fabric) to match a main square cut at 5.75. Got some good looking personal sized quilts. One fabric was a funny lilac, muddy aqua, black and cream. As luck would have it, I also inherited some lilac binding strips that I sewed together lengthwise to form both side pieces. The extra seam in the side pieces give it an extra zing. It's set on point and I still have to add the end pieces. (some day).

I've found the Turning Twenty block an ideal way to use up fabric that might not be useful otherwise.

Mayer74 11-02-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5856446)
I like the big blocks, but you might reduce the pieces by app. a third and have somewhat smaller blocks. Determine a Finished main piece size you're happy with------say 5" (cut 5.5 square), cut the smaller side piece (5.5 x 3 seam allowance for a Finished piece that is 5 x 2.5. Then cut your long piece at 8 x 3 for a Finished piece that is 7.5 x 2.5. Your whole block would be 7.5 square finished.

so an 8x8 finished block be
6x6 square (finished size 5.5)
6 x 3 1/2 (finished size 5.5 x 3)
8 1/2 x 3 1/2 (finished size 8 x 3)

Jordan 11-03-2019 07:37 AM

I think you could create a new quilt block by cutting the pieces in half the size noted on the pattern. Just remember to add the seam allowance and it will turn out great. Please share a picture of your progress or finished quilt. I am trying to figure out the Yellow Brick Road pattern to use up a lot of my yellow and blue fabrics but the instructions are so hard for me to understand. I have read and reread the instructions and am still confused. I may need to turn to the Turning Twenty pattern as I have a book of that name. Good luck to you