Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/typically-i-use-only-one-white-off-white-all-my-sewing-quilting-t239388.html)

QuiltnNan 01-22-2014 09:02 AM

i've been using prewounds for years... they have so much thread on them. i usually buy white.

angelarose 01-22-2014 09:25 AM

I also use the pony tail holders for my bobbins. They can stretch out easily, but if used gently they're wonderful and the price is right. Can't remember where I got them...Walmart of $ store.

notmorecraft 01-22-2014 10:05 AM

I keep lots of bobbins filled with neutral colours and when I finish for the day I fill up any I have used that day. I use toe separaters that you use for pedicures to secure the bobbins. You can see the colours and it keeps the ends tight.

PaperPrincess 01-22-2014 10:15 AM

I wind 2. When the second one runs out I know that I need to really clean my bobbin race.

franc36 01-22-2014 10:23 AM

When I sew on my Featherweight, every week when I oil, clean and change the needle, I fill 8 bobbins with the neutral thread I will use in the coming week. I do this because I am so left handed that threading the needle is not my idea of fun. I don't want to have to stop and wind a bobbin and have to re thread the needle. Once a week of needle threading is enough for me. On m Bernina, if I am doing FMQ, I fill lots of bobbins, otherwise, I just stop and fill the bobbin as I need it.

Gladmaker 01-22-2014 10:40 AM

Those of you that use prewound - what do you do with the empty bobbins?

kamaiarigby 01-22-2014 11:04 AM

What size thread do you use in your bobbins

krafty14 01-22-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6527631)
For piecing, I buy one spool for the top and one for the bottom. Fill bobbins with the second spool. I love having a bobbin ready to pop in.

That is what I do also. I buy 2 white spools and wind as many bobbins as I can from one spool.

justflyingin 01-22-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6527844)
What a great idea! Seriously, I never thought of doing that, but I will now!

Are you joking? A person can't always tell on the internet.

I've never thought of anything else because my mom always had a bobbin box pretty much full of bobbins in various colors, ready to go. As I piece, I make sure I have several bobbins in the color that I want--nothing more frustrating than having to stop and wind a bobbin when I'm in a piecing mood! As an experiment once, I decided to use up a 5000 meter cone of white thread--used it up to fill bobbins all in one evening. It took about an hour or hour and a half and filled 99 bobbins.

Jan in VA 01-22-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6527631)
For piecing, I buy one spool for the top and one for the bottom. Fill bobbins with the second spool. I love having a bobbin ready to pop in.

The good thing about DebraK's trick is that when you are out of top thread, you are out of bobbin thread.....no stitching along for half an hour with no bobbin thread! :D

Jan in VA