Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/typically-i-use-only-one-white-off-white-all-my-sewing-quilting-t239388.html)

WMUTeach 01-23-2014 06:06 AM

I do the same only multiplied by a bunch. I have a small covered tray that holds....30 or so bobbins. From time to time I strap on that cone of thread I picked up on sale somewhere and start to fill bobbins. It is such a time saver when I am in the middle of a project to not have to stop to fill a bobbin. Just dip into my little box of filled bobbins and away I go. A small investment in extra bobbins is sooooo worth it! Yes, it is a good idea for a very cold day.

maryfrang 01-23-2014 06:12 AM

I fill at least 6 bobbins when I start a project. When they are all done, it is also time to clean my machine. So out comes the bobbin, and I use my brush etc. clean the machine, fill my bobbins again. Saves time and also reminds me to clean my machine.

carolynjo 01-23-2014 06:17 AM

I wind several bobbins of white, lt. gray, and beige. Then, I don't have to stop so often to rewind. I store my bobbins in a sectioned fishing box where they stay clean and visible.

MelindaFuller 01-23-2014 06:24 AM

For bobbin wraps, I go to the dollar store and get a bag o the tiniest pony tail holders. Much cheaper. My newest storage method is using the separators made for pedicures. Each one holds 4 bobbins so I have one with white, one with beige, one with blues etc. they stand up in a Rubbermaid box in my drawer so I can see the colors. I get them at a beauty supply and they are usually 50 cents or less. I use a light grey for piecing and usually have several bobbins wound with it.

Quilty-Louise 01-23-2014 07:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite bobbin box is the Dritz blue base/clear lid, they hold
32 bobbins per box.

As I stated in an earlier post I do a lot of FSL embroidery so my
bobbin thread will always match the top thread.

Below are photos of my box "collection" this of course is NOT all
the boxes I have just the ones that I have in use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458181[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458182[/ATTACH]

newjeepgreen 01-23-2014 08:04 AM

Can anyone tell me if I can buy pre wound bobbins for PFAFF EXPRESSION 4 machine. I have never heard of these. Thank you

wraez 01-23-2014 08:43 AM

my fave threads for bobbins is Superior Threads Bobbin fill, thin, lasts a long time on the bobbin ... for piecing I really like a very light yellow/cream that almost disappears even in whites, blends well with neutrals and I have a light green too with same results, they seem to be my faves, tho I also use a tan. I have a navy and black on hand for dark piecing but rarely need to use it.

luvrazz 01-23-2014 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb (Post 6527626)
I typically piece with white so I was filling lots of bobbins at a time - made the mistake (or was it?) of trying prewound. Now I'm hooked!! I found a supply of them for $10 for 144 bobbins (plus $7 shipping). When you figure the price, that's less than 12 cents per bobbin. They last longer, I haven't had any tension issues, and I am no longer winding bobbins for piecing! I'm totally in love!!

I totally agree with the prewound bobbins... There is probably at least 3 times the thread on the bobbin more than you can wind onto a bobbin.

Charley's Mom 01-23-2014 09:29 AM

I love your bobbin boxes. I too use the pony tail holders. Where did you get the boxes? I have never seen these. Thanks.

katiebear1 01-23-2014 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb (Post 6527626)
I typically piece with white so I was filling lots of bobbins at a time - made the mistake (or was it?) of trying prewound. Now I'm hooked!! I found a supply of them for $10 for 144 bobbins (plus $7 shipping). When you figure the price, that's less than 12 cents per bobbin. They last longer, I haven't had any tension issues, and I am no longer winding bobbins for piecing! I'm totally in love!!

Where do you buy them? Would love to try them