Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting.... >

Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

I fill 5 or 6 bobbins up at once. I find this so much easier when the bobbin runs out. I used to fill it only one at a time but find this works for me. Have picked up some more empties, so will fill more next time. I am surprised just how much time it takes one at a time, not to mention disrupting the sewing. Just a random thought for this cold, cold day.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Banned

I pretty much do the same thing with the exceptions that I fill
10+ bobbins with white, beige, and black thread for sewing.

However since I use MANY colors also I fill bobbins with the
color I am using/wanting at that time.

Now with my embroidery ANY time I am stitching something
that is fsl (free standing lace) I use the same color thread in
the bobbin that I use for the top. I also keep 20+ bobbins filled
of black & white bobbin thread for all other embroidery projects.

I have about 200 (give or take 25 or so) bobbins mainly for my
embroidery.

Originally Posted by judylg View Post
I fill 5 or 6 bobbins up at once. I find this so much easier when the bobbin runs out. I used to fill it only one at a time but find this works for me. Have picked up some more empties, so will fill more next time. I am surprised just how much time it takes one at a time, not to mention disrupting the sewing. Just a random thought for this cold, cold day.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 AM

I typically piece with white so I was filling lots of bobbins at a time - made the mistake (or was it?) of trying prewound. Now I'm hooked!! I found a supply of them for $10 for 144 bobbins (plus $7 shipping). When you figure the price, that's less than 12 cents per bobbin. They last longer, I haven't had any tension issues, and I am no longer winding bobbins for piecing! I'm totally in love!!

When I start a project whether it is piecing or FMQ, I fill 2 or 3 bobbins ahead. I also have at least 1 bobbin dedicated to each color of thread that I have. The bobbins are attached to each spool using a Bobbin Mate and stored that way.

http://www.joann.com/bobbin-mate-18-pkg/7419534.html and I use Bobbin Wraps http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=92274 to keep the bobbin thread from unwinding. I haven't been able to find them locally so I have ordered them on line. They are used for little girls ponytails.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 01-22-2014 at 06:19 AM.

For piecing, I buy one spool for the top and one for the bottom. Fill bobbins with the second spool. I love having a bobbin ready to pop in.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM

What a great idea! Seriously, I never thought of doing that, but I will now!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I fill mine ahead to.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM

I'm thinking of using beige for all my piecing on the machine. That way I could fill several bobbins in advance.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Since I now have 2 machines I get 2 bobbins at a time wound up. I bought extra thread the other day and couple extra bobbins and just wound them up. I do this if I have a little time or have to wait on some one stopping by. If I'm sewing on one machine, I may have another winding bobbins.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
When I start a project whether it is piecing or FMQ, I fill 2 or 3 bobbins ahead. I also have at least 1 bobbin dedicated to each color of thread that I have. The bobbins are attached to each spool using a Bobbin Mate and stored that way.

http://www.joann.com/bobbin-mate-18-pkg/7419534.html and I use Bobbin Wraps http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=92274 to keep the bobbin thread from unwinding. I haven't been able to find them locally so I have ordered them on line. They are used for little girls ponytails.
You can get the mini scrunchies at Walmart much cheaper I believe. I have been using them. But Tartan posted another idea that looks even better - http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t239392.html