Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting.... >

Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

When FMQing I fill up all the empty bobbins I have. I don't wind any more until I empty the last one. FMQ uses alot more of thread than straight line stitching. When I piece I don't worry about running out. I notice it real quick. When FMQing I notice after an inch or two.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 AM

I do something similar or at least I fill two at a time. I love the bobbin winder on my Janome 6600, it has a separate motor to wind bobbins so you don't have to remove your sewing or the thread you are using to sew with, I fill one bobbin to replace the one I was sewing with and fill another to leave filled on the top of my machine for the next time I need a full one.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 AM

I have boxes that hold 25 bobbins and as all my machines are Janomes they will fit any of my machines. I have over 100 bobbins. I keep one box for bobbin thread for my machine embroidery, one box for my main piecing colour Gutermann 919. The others have a mixture which I try to keep with the spool from which it came. After reading Tartans tip about plastic tubing I thought of wrapping a paper around the bobbin first with the colour written on it then the tubing.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 AM

I, too, prewind white and black bobbins. Much easier and takes almost no time at all to do.

Re: mini scrunchies to secure the bobbins, the dollar stores sell bags of 100 for $1.00. These are either in the hair doo-dads section or in the baby section.

Anita
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 AM

Okay, I am cheap! I found that if I cut a soda straw in about 3 inches, they fit perfectly in a regular spool of thread and then after I fill two or three bobbins with the thread I am using, I just stack them up on to of the spool of thread and when I finish a project, if there is any thread left on each, I stack the bobbin on the spool and then I am ready to start again when I need that particular color of thread. Keeps bobbin with it's matching thread color.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 AM

I have a Baby Lock that will wind one bobbin while you sew with another and that is a useful feature.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM

It saves me time when sewing to have the prewound bobbins that I have done, never tried the ones you can buy. I remember the lady that taught quilting, loving them and the guy who runs the quilt store saying they were no good, not sure why he felt that.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
I'm thinking of using beige for all my piecing on the machine. That way I could fill several bobbins in advance.
I have found that a light gray is the best for the bobbin. Beige is good but the the gray is better for me. I use Bottom Line and can hardly see the bobbin thread.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
When I start a project whether it is piecing or FMQ, I fill 2 or 3 bobbins ahead. I also have at least 1 bobbin dedicated to each color of thread that I have. The bobbins are attached to each spool using a Bobbin Mate and stored that way.

http://www.joann.com/bobbin-mate-18-pkg/7419534.html and I use Bobbin Wraps http://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=92274 to keep the bobbin thread from unwinding. I haven't been able to find them locally so I have ordered them on line. They are used for little girls ponytails.
I found the little girl ponytail thingies at local dollar store.......cheaper than buying "bobbin wraps"......

I piece with either white or gray..........I don't quilt on DM so don't need colors...if I do sew anything of color I will fill or half fill a bobbin to match....then if any left will use that for piecing.......no one sees the color thread used in piecing except me as I am doing it.......for emb..I use prewound....
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM

I buy the prewound without sides to piece so that all that is left is the little core which I throw away. I wouldn't have thought of getting the sideless ones that but someone gave me some to try and they worked as well as the regular bobbins with sides. I do use the neb bobbins for my embroidery machine and they have sides. I don't use nearly as many of those and so far have thrown away them away when empty.

Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
Those of you that use prewound - what do you do with the empty bobbins?